Class Discussion: Wyrm Master

A place for discussion about Nexus Clash game mechanics, including Build Advice.
Haweh

Class Discussion: Wyrm Master

Post by Haweh »

Let's get some open discussion started about the myriad classes that exist in Nexus Clash.

Answer all, some, or none of the questions - they're just here to get some discussion going!

If you've played a Wyrm Master in the current breath...

When making your Wyrm Master, what did you want your character to be in 1 sentence? How did you envision them when planning out the character?
What parts of the class did you identify as 'cool' and worthy enough to build a character around?
What nuances about the class' gameplay that you like the most, and why?
What aspect about the class' gameplay that you like the least, and why?
What do you think is the most important ability of the class?
Were there any surprises (good or bad) about the class that you noticed as you played it?
What QoL features do you think Wyrm Masters need?
Do you think the class is "good" or "bad" overall? Why?

If you haven't played a Wyrm Master in the current breath, or have encountered and interacted with them...

If you originally wanted to make a Wyrm Master but abstained due to a mechanical reason, what was the reason?
From your interactions with Wyrm Masters, what was the most standout or memorable class feature?

Don't forget that Nexus Clash is a rather complex game. The challenge of this game is that changes can have unintended consequences even if the class itself is untouched *cough* Corruptor *cough*.
Before suggesting a change or adjustment, try not to only think about the context of the class, but see the bigger picture and try to think about how it might affect the game as a whole.

And of course - be excellent to one another! Attack the argument, not the person :D
Last edited by Haweh on Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nayru

Re: Class Discussion Series: Wyrm Master

Post by Nayru »

Haweh wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 pm When making your Wyrm Master, what did you want your character to be in 1 sentence? How did you envision them when planning out the character? high-end doomer logistics BIG TIDDY VIRAL WAIFU
What parts of the class did you identify as 'cool' and worthy enough to build a character around? better nethergraft
What nuances about the class' gameplay that you like the most, and why? i gnak your resource point
What aspect about the class' gameplay that you like the least, and why? paying >pet summon to do <pet summon
What do you think is the most important ability of the class? better nethergraft
Were there any surprises (good or bad) about the class that you noticed as you played it? bad: bad
What QoL features do you think Wyrm Masters need? be less bad
Do you think the class is "good" or "bad" overall? Why? bad, because bad
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Haweh

Post by Haweh »

One curious interaction I've noticed is that Revenants (particularly ones with faction logistical support) can hard counter a Wyrm Master.

WM's pets principally are acid and fire damage with physical types as their secondary. Wrackwyrm is the outlier with 12 Unholy damage as their primary type. Mutagenic Touch/Nether Grafting can change a pet's damage type to death, which is... even less effective against a revenant?

Thus, a revenant with an acid armor and a fire armor can straight up solo WMs found in the wild, maybe with some unholy affinity juice to soak the damage from the Wrackwyrm. Carrying an acid armor also allows the revenant to cope with Acid Blood pseudo-aura damage. I certainly do it on my revenant.

Now, I've never actually played a Wyrm Master myself, but maybe the Death damage modification on Mutagenic Touch could be changed to a different element... like unholy? It costs 1AP/15 or 20MP per pet so it ought to be worth the price on a summoner's precious MP pool.
Haweh wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 pm From your interactions with Wyrm Masters, what was the most standout or memorable class feature? Getting destroyed by Acid Blood when 4/4 Blood Frenzy
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Forget that, Infernal Behemoth is practically focused on countering Wyrm Master.

Fire - lol
Acid - Massive Acid resistance for some reason.
Unholy - Decent resistance again.

Death is 5 which is on the lower half of the resistances but your Gnak Tentacles don't deal enough damage to pass even that if they get a invincibility pot (As they should). And also most people don't bother with mutation so it doesn't come into play that often.
The reason for this.
Stoopkid

Post by Stoopkid »

I have a mortal going WM and beyond the general flavor of the class I was drawn to the idea of mutagenic touch being able to make a few powerful pets and buff other allies pets vs having to just have huge numbers to be effective. I also think nether should change to unholy damage, and I think acid glands should just make acid the primary damage.

Not sure how feasible it is, but maybe there could be a separate set of lesser mutations for factionmate pets to get around the whole issue of "necrophage doing 22 acid damage and targeting lowest hp" etc. I do think they should be able to get super strong wrackwyrms though if they're investing 45 to 60 MP or more.
Haweh

Post by Haweh »

It sounds like there's a consensus that Mutagenic Touch is the most interesting and defining class feature out of the (admittedly few) respondents to this thread.

For any players who have tried it out - does it seem like a strong skill? Do you think it could be stronger or weaker? What tweaks might you make to it, and why?
plum

Post by plum »

I think WM has a strong niche as a hunter. Super powerful movement (IMO the best in the game) + pets is a pretty nice combination for AP-efficient bonking. I guess this hasn't changed much since last breath though, although maybe pets are even better as a hunting tool in comparison since the average dmg/AP has decreased with Elite/Infinite gone? idk
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Isn't WM specially bad at that? Twisted Leaps don't help you shadowhunt since you can't see any tiles you jumped over.
Correct me if I am wrong.
plum

Post by plum »

They're a worse shadowhunter certainly, but they're very effective at hunting outdoors. At least last breath there were often enough deathfarmers/other outdoor targets for that approach to be worthwhile
lunalu

Post by lunalu »

I've got one of these... I kinda fell into it because pre buyback, I DIDN'T PLAN. so we had a sit down with my faction and it was basically: you can't be a corrupter and you prob shouldn't try DO.
It's ok... there's something icky about spitting acid at everyone who touches you. Makes you feel unloved and gross.
I like having dogs though, them cute. People like squishing my dogs. That makes me sad.