skill: Touch Spells should ignore Spell Parry

Past suggestions that have been incorporated into the live game.
Riss

skill: Touch Spells should ignore Spell Parry

Post by Riss »

Because becoming a gunwizard to usurp a seal is boring!

(been there, done that)
Jayne Cobb | your doppelgänger | Rhialto the Marvellous | an eerie melody | the man who sold the world | Duncan Idaho

Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language.
Carmilla

Re: skill: Touch Spells should ignore Spell Parry

Post by Carmilla »

Imo if you're gunning for a council seat then that's a possibilty you have to keep in mind. You can always have more than one spelltree mastered(iirc you are even encouraged to due to the exsistence of Eldritch mixing). Even without that, people have gone to the lengths of getting a dark heart pact to eat away the mp to nullify spell parry. I feel like council seat stealing shouldn't be a free handout as a competitive endgame and you should have to work for it.
Riss

Post by Riss »

If I'm not mistaken,
  • to steal a seal you must kill the councilor with the relevant element (no mixing)
  • every councilor has Spell Parry
So there are only 3 methods to become a councilor:
  1. be a gunwizard
  2. use a dark heart pact
  3. the previous councilor stops playing (which is certainly not something to be encouraged)
Let's say for example that the ES endgame is "the top 10 ES" and you become a top ES by killing another top ES. Would it make sense to say that the killing can only be done with a firearm? Or that it is indispensable a buff from another class that might be an enemy for you?

I don't think so. And I have enough ranks to allow me to be a wizard AND a gunwizard.
Jayne Cobb | your doppelgänger | Rhialto the Marvellous | an eerie melody | the man who sold the world | Duncan Idaho

Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language.
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

The only part wrong about that is that you don't need to use the relevant element to take a seat. You need to have the full spell tree and the target must hold the seat of the element you have a full spell tree of, but you can definitely claim a seat with a different element.

But yes, enabling other magic-type attacks such as rods to claim a seat (or more to the point, get past Spell Parry) would be good.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!
Kandarin
Site Admin

Post by Kandarin »

NearNihil wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:24 pm The only part wrong about that is that you don't need to use the relevant element to take a seat. You need to have the full spell tree and the target must hold the seat of the element you have a full spell tree of, but you can definitely claim a seat with a different element.

But yes, enabling other magic-type attacks such as rods to claim a seat (or more to the point, get past Spell Parry) would be good.
Seconded and I’ve coded this for the next patch.

As of the next patch, rods will work for usurpation, as will other spell-type, non-innate weapons like the Codex Mortis and the Psionic Actualizer.

The initial claim of a vacant seal will still require the element you’re trying to represent.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
Kandarin
Site Admin

Post by Kandarin »

Since the pending change will address the core concern behind the proposal, I'm moving this to Implemented.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes