Way of Earth Does Not Grant Soak

Past suggestions that have been incorporated into the live game.
pladdicus

Way of Earth Does Not Grant Soak

Post by pladdicus »

Hello,

Way of Earth states soak on the Wiki, but does not grant any. This may not be a bug, it may be a wiki updating issue.

But, as it grants resists now I believe, I have 75%+ in all resists and am still taking 11/12 damage from various attacks. Does soaks on the character page indicate how much % of the attack you still take or how much you resist?

And am I correct that if I have 80% resist from 10 damage I should wind up taking 2? If so, resists may not be calculating properly. Will update this with damage next time I take it, sadly my log is flooded and I lost the relevant details atm.
pladdicus

Re: Way of Earth Does Not Grant Soak

Post by pladdicus »

Resistance DOES seem to be working as expected, actually. I think this is solely a wiki update concern now.

Character used Haymaker with combination attack and dealt 4-6-9 and since my Impact Resist says 75% I assume that means I resist 25%?
Warharan

Post by Warharan »

I read this one and checked my logs for Boudica:
(the villain is Winston Wolfe/ id=11314)
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 3 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:14).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 5 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:18).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 7 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:20).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and missed! (2022-01-03 21:20:21).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 7 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:22).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and missed! (2022-01-03 21:20:24).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 7 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:26).
- Winston Wolfe attacked you with an Axe and hit for 9 points of slashing damage. (2022-01-03 21:20:27).
An Axe is normally 5 damage IIRC.
Way of Earth does seem a bit 'off'.

[edit; apparently WoE does not work as advertised with some 'fixed' soaks but now is some 25% (or even less reduction in damage.]
Note that my avatar is merely the coat of arms of the city where I live.
But feel free to add additional meaning to that.
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

It looks like this is something that was implemented as a result of old dev discussion but that wiki documenting devs had forgotten about by the time they made the wiki because documentation was scarce.

There's room for debate as to if it should be like this, but it's a feature change, not a bug.

Towing this to suggestions.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Can we have more info about current Way of Earth? Like, statistics and stuff.
Alkasyn

Post by Alkasyn »

Yea I wanted to take that skill but unsure if I do now that I don't know what it does, really?
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

i find the implementation a bit odd, 25 to 15% resist depending on element, no +10 hp

if resistance is made to be factored first rather than soak first, this might turn into quite a skill (and with affinity potions having dropped to 50% resist that might be the idea at play here)
6357a04b90d03926db738a86eb0ce6f3.png
6357a04b90d03926db738a86eb0ce6f3.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 8188 times
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

I think I get it, more or less. You get 25% resist against common elements, and a bit less against less exotic elements. Its easier to get soak against the mundane elements (Slashing/Piercing/Impact) than exotic ones (Electric, Arcane, etc) too, so its not too odd of a feature.

I like it.
This makes Eternal Soldier immune to every capstone effect btw.
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

SaltedSalmon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:38 am I think I get it, more or less. You get 25% resist against common elements, and a bit less against less exotic elements. Its easier to get soak against the mundane elements (Slashing/Piercing/Impact) than exotic ones (Electric, Arcane, etc) too, so its not too odd of a feature.

I like it.
incorrect, electric/death/acid will absolutely get through, 20% is the minimum resist i'm going to go with

it's not otherworldly that i'd make it require 25% though, which would expose it to aligned + fire/cold as well

i wouldn't base any thoughts on curr way of earth around the effects of spells, as probably the most hazardous effect to an es, electric, is also what it's weakest against
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Warharan

Post by Warharan »

SaltedSalmon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:38 am I think I get it, more or less. You get 25% resist against common elements, and a bit less against less exotic elements. Its easier to get soak against the mundane elements (Slashing/Piercing/Impact) than exotic ones (Electric, Arcane, etc) too, so its not too odd of a feature.

I like it.
Why do you like it?
As someone with an ES buying WoE upon hitting lvl 20 (under the assumption it granted some soak) I am very underwhelmed with a 25% dmg reduction.

No snark. Really curious why you like it.
I hope I am missing something. I'd love to get rid of my buyers remorse. :D
Note that my avatar is merely the coat of arms of the city where I live.
But feel free to add additional meaning to that.