Gameplay: Reduced spawn chance on opposite-infused tiles.

Suggestions the development team sees as having value for future content.
Huojin

Gameplay: Reduced spawn chance on opposite-infused tiles.

Post by Huojin »

Mentioned this idea in the presence of a dev and here we are :V

Essentially the idea would be that tiles which are strongly infused to a particular alignment would reduce the chances of character not of that alignment to respawn there after they've died.

Personally I think this would help intensify the territorial control aspect of the game, and add further weight to the various methods currently at play of controlling territory.

I also think it would be better this way around (i.e. reducing chance of other alignments spawning) rather than the opposite way around (i.e. increasing chance of same alignment spawning) the whole point is to add further ways to deny an area to the enemy and exert your control over it more strongly. Again, this should only apply when a tile is strongly infused to a given morality, we're not talking 50 points like for barricades.
Repth

Re: Gameplay: Reduced spawn chance on opposite-infused tiles.

Post by Repth »

This is very cool.
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

I'm gonna make a minor complaint here, but bear with me.
What about useless out-of-the-way tiles like the corner of the map? I feel like if I infused in those, I'd be wasting some poor respawner's time.
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

This is a good idea, not least because all three sides have lots of players who are going to strategically fortify their territory with glyphs, spelltraps and barricades. Respawning in the middle of the other team's fortress might be a pretty painful respawn.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
cat

Post by cat »

+1

To add to this I'd recommend individual tiles have pressure/attrition over time from deeply good/evil aligned surrounding tiles. Nowhere near as strong as in Elysium or Stygia, but enough to make Infusions more of a tactical choice instead of "we want this tile and only this tile". Single tiles in deeply oppositional territory would require maintenance or slowly be tuned by surrounding tiles.
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

RIV good aligned hunter XP.

I like the idea, but needs some thinking. What if this only applied to factioned characters? I feel like unfactioned is your opt-out of caring too much about territory conflict
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Related suggestion, what if you could respawn in maximally infused tiles with Transcendence/Hellspawn/Empyreal Bond?
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

Is it overall beneficial to reduce respawn of enemies in your territory? What about potential murder victims? I feel like the anti-combat groups would appreciate that, and maybe it would have it's role in a kind of total war scenario, but mostly it would just incrementally reduce combat encounter frequency

Would something like a debuff to those who spawn in foreign territory (something like a few status ticks of -30% hide and some loss to offensive stats) be an alternative?
Repth

Post by Repth »

That could be another approach. Regarding targets, consider the flip side of knowing where the people you want to kill tend to spawn.
Huojin

Post by Huojin »

Klapaucius wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm Is it overall beneficial to reduce respawn of enemies in your territory? What about potential murder victims? I feel like the anti-combat groups would appreciate that, and maybe it would have it's role in a kind of total war scenario, but mostly it would just incrementally reduce combat encounter frequency

Would something like a debuff to those who spawn in foreign territory (something like a few status ticks of -30% hide and some loss to offensive stats) be an alternative?
Definitely a valid concern.

Alternatively, could prompt all sides to have SHs forward-staged rather than deep inside friendly territory, so that you can strike out more quickly into areas where the enemy are likely to be in greater concentrations.
Fellis wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 pm RIV good aligned hunter XP.

I like the idea, but needs some thinking. What if this only applied to factioned characters? I feel like unfactioned is your opt-out of caring too much about territory conflict
Personally I think this should still apply to some extent to unfactioned characters, but perhaps the reduced spawn chance is lesser if you're feral? Or perhaps some other kind of malus, like reduced hide chance as Klapaucius suggested?
SaltedSalmon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:00 pm Related suggestion, what if you could respawn in maximally infused tiles with Transcendence/Hellspawn/Empyreal Bond?
I also love this idea, and it would make all three of those skills way more appealing.