T2 spell rebalancing

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.

Do you like this feature/change?

Yes (as is)
100%
Yes (with significant change)
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 2

Klapaucius

T2 spell rebalancing

Post by Klapaucius »

- Offensive spells have been increased in MP cost by 1 MP (except for the T3 autohit spells).
- Tier 2 spells that use the spell combat tree (Noxious Globule, Snowblind, Necrotic Ray, Cloudburst, Sunflare, Rain of Stones, Skewer, and The Hundred Lashes) have had their damage increased by 2 points.
Consider the following:
- Revert the nerf to T2 ranged MP cost. There should be a reason to use T2 ranged spells, and the MP cost should be it.
- Revert this buff to T2 ranged damage
- Allow t2 spells to trigger capstones
- Drop t2 touch by 2 points of damage To compensate for the buff above

This increases differentiation between spell elements. I think it would be nice, even if it would be a bit of a nerf to some of my characters compared to the situation right now.
sekki

Re: T2 spell rebalancing

Post by sekki »

Strong agree that at least T2 ranged spell buff+cost should be reverted.

I feel like the T2 dart cost should be reverted too (and associated buff if any).
Since the T3 auto-hit cost was unchanged the use case for T2 auto-hit became a lot less compelling.

Capstone on T2 touch might be a little crazy:
+ aura
+ capstone
+ can use melee/h2h acc
With the cheaper mana cost I think it would end up eclipsing T3 ranged in most cases.
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

sekki wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:01 pm Strong agree that at least T2 ranged spell buff+cost should be reverted.

I feel like the T2 dart cost should be reverted too (and associated buff if any).
Since the T3 auto-hit cost was unchanged the use case for T2 auto-hit became a lot less compelling.

Capstone on T2 touch might be a little crazy:
+ aura
+ capstone
+ can use melee/h2h acc
With the cheaper mana cost I think it would end up eclipsing T3 ranged in most cases.
You saw that I suggested dropping the base damage by 2 to compensate? That's about the expected value of a capstone.
sekki

Post by sekki »

Then to rephrase - it would be a little crazy for some capstones such as fire and death.

But yea would definitely be inline for the mundane types.

I think the expected value of cold and ele is more than +2 but arguably close enough.

But perhaps this is more about balancing the capstone effects more around a number that _could_ then get taken off touch
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

The only capstone where I would brook the argument is the aligned ones, where it would be an actual buff. Fire is meh now that barricades are gone, death only needs a single T3 autohit and it's fully applied, so -2 damage is a straight nerf. Everything else is balanced enough. But really if you're not getting the capstone why even bother using taint/sanctify/deep? I certainly don't use it for touch attacks.
sekki

Post by sekki »

The aligned ones seem fine since you usually have to spend extra to use them anyways. (Unless there is a class that somehow gets it without, but I’m too lazy to wiki surf rn)

Fires main use case was/is forts though I never understood why not ward too because that would make it actually useful.

Hmm I think the problem is I’m viewing this through the lens of my wizard who gets a bunch of +s to spell damage so -2 damage seems like a small price to pay :D

Anyways I’ll leave this as - agree T2 spell changes seemed a little much and could use a reversion or some tweaks.