Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Allow magical (renamed) items to be destroyed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allow magical (renamed) items to be destroyed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuXAuV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Allow magical (renamed) items to be destroyed Reply with quote

As brought up on discord:

Magical items have always had an unintended pay-to-win aspect: they cannot be destroyed and removed from your inventory.
This makes it a valuable advantage to place on your weapons and armour, especially as a counter to things like weapon breaker.

However, the solution is already in the game: memories of a past life.
When a renamed item is about to be destroyed, convert it into a memory of a past life instead.
This will take advantage of a game mechanic that is minimally used (since it's centred mostly around new breaths).
Nayru
Highly Aloof Goddess
Highly Aloof Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one bit i've often thought about due to that + other issues (like certain anti-dura skills.....) is nixing items being destroyed altogether

if presented with the two different routes (no rename-granted indestructability vs no item deletion), would you prefer the former or latter?
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I would hesitate to say "yes, destroy-remove named items" is because people spend credits on them.

On the other hand, credits aren't supposed to give in-game advantages, which this does, and it's not like naming an object is *that* expensive.

I don't suppose it would be possible to destroy/remove the item and return the spent credits (or a part of them) at the same time?
SaltedSalmon
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...
This thread is already about making named items destructible without having the credits be lost forever. The explanation on how to do that is on the thread OP, even.
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm interpreting correctly (and I may not be) the problem is people putting enchantments on named things? Is this actually a problem? Weapon Breaker has always seemed pointless and Acid spell armour degradation seems to be rare.

The credit-name things I have that I wouldn't want destroyed are a renamed Pair of Leather Sandals (AKA a Tattered Yellow Robe, a Pair of Leather Sandals) that I used credits for and a Longbow that was gifted IIRC. I'd prefer to keep these and forego enchantments. The Sandals in theory cannot be destroyed. The Longbow does degrade in quality during use but I cannot speak to its possible destruction.

Wouldn't it be simpler to disallow enchanting on named things? I know this can be done because I have a quest-reward weapon called Grim Reaper Scythe which cannot be enchanted. And I know that Frozen Gauntlets only seem to be able to hold 3 enchants or thereabouts. So presumably there's an enchant counter on items that could be set to zero for anything named.

EDIT: Pants on fire. I have 2 other named weapons from RP players. Perhaps another solution to this would be to create a name enchant mechanism rather than going via the credit store? Possible loss of credit but democratization in that all things can be named and there is no need for a special credit-purchased indestructible status?

Skull Face
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltedSalmon wrote:
But...
This thread is already about making named items destructible without having the credits be lost forever. The explanation on how to do that is on the thread OP, even.

But a Memories of Past Life item just sits in your inventory or footlocker being undeletable and having the name of something you used to have. You can't drag the name over onto another object.

SkullFace wrote:
If I'm interpreting correctly (and I may not be) the problem is people putting enchantments on named things?

I think the problem is that Named Objects can't be completely destroyed. So a way to prevent an item from being destroyed and removed from one's inventory is to name it.

SkullFace wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to disallow enchanting on named things?

Speaking as an Enchanter - No, please! When I enchant an item for the faction, I want to give it a unique name (like "Police-Issue Zappy Longbow") so folks can know what it is. Taking away the ability to name enchanted items would be just awful - there would be no way to tell one enchanted item from another without having a magic-user removing each one from the safe and looking at them. And it would take away so much uniqueness from enchanted objects.

SkullFace wrote:
Perhaps another solution to this would be to create a name enchant mechanism rather than going via the credit store? Possible loss of credit but democratization in that all things can be named and there is no need for a special credit-purchased indestructible status?

Back in the original Nexus we used a special Enchant to name objects, as I recall. The main issues with doing that would be that it would take up an enchant slot (unless the system was rejiggered so Name enchants don't count against the total) and that items could only be named by asking a favor from a local enchanter. I like the flavor of letting people name their items.

*shrug* Maybe the solution could be letting the name be 'saved' and reassigned to another item. Sure, your "Armor of the Gods, a leather cuirass" is gone, but you can put the name on another object for free. Would that be code-able?
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
SaltedSalmon wrote:
But...

But a Memories of Past Life item just sits in your inventory or footlocker being undeletable and having the name of something you used to have. You can't drag the name over onto another object.

This may have slipped most people's attention with all the other stuff that was in the patch where this was added, but as of early 2018 onward you can. You can go to a Euphoria Asylum in Elysium or Dark Sanitarium in Stygia and "recall the memory" to put the name on a new object.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:
This may have slipped most people's attention with all the other stuff that was in the patch where this was added, but as of early 2018 onward you can. You can go to a Euphoria Asylum in Elysium or Dark Sanitarium in Stygia and "recall the memory" to put the name on a new object.

OMG! *faints*

Well, that solves the problem!
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this has been a recurring problem (for the OP at least) I'm implementing this mechanic for the next round of updates.
haliphax
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered what that was when I stumbled across one. Figured it was for credit-named items. Cheers!
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo exactly what advantage does not deleting named items give you that makes it so "play to win"? e.g.- a weapon's accuracy is reduced to useless until it's repaired anyway. At that point it's no different to any other item. You need to get it repaired to make it useful again. How is this any different from an unnamed item being deleted and then you just need to get it remade and you're back to where you were? I really see no point in this suggestion other than burning credits and screwing people who don't have time to check their toons a lot and might miss an item's decay or who are in small guilds without a smith of some sort.
SaltedSalmon
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sac wrote:
I really see no point in this suggestion other than burning credits and screwing people who don't have time to check their toons a lot and might miss an item's decay or who are in small guilds without a smith of some sort.

Already addressed though, that won't happen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: