Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [Factions] More renown sinks; customizable factions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Factions] More renown sinks; customizable factions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharn
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: [Factions] More renown sinks; customizable factions Reply with quote

(This one's for you, Repth, so at least you'll appreciate the format maybe)

((This is also obviously not for this breath, and since most likely the renown mechanic is going to be revamped this suggestion is pretty worthless, but some ideas might be salvaged out of this))

Concern: Raiding's all fun and games but it ultimately is pointless if you look at it from an endgame point of view. You get renown, that's cool, but once you have a 1000 safe spots that's not going to do much. You also get experience which is useless for people who are maxxed out. Basically, there's no incentive to raid other than the raid itself if you're all maxxed out and your safe is filled

Suggestion: More things to spend renown on, basically. Think custom made clothes you buy with renown, and that can only be worn while in the faction. So maybe the Shartak Motorcycle Club will want to spend a hundred renown on sweet leather jackets with a mango patch on them (I know nothing about shartak). Or Oblivion might want a t-shirt that says "I leveled Sunset twice and all I got was a shitty meme shirt". You might even lock gear to your rank in the faction, so, using the shartak's example, initiates and veterans can't wear the jackets, only lieutenants and leaders can.

Speaking of which, why not customize the faction rank names with renown? DND leaders shouldn't be called 'Leaders', they should be called "High Teamasters" or whatever.

Also, custom ward breaking messages. Instead of "your ward has been destroyed!", why not "John Cena's theme starts playing as a horde of demons pours into your stronghold, intent on murder and pillage of your precious standard!"

That's all giving a lot of power to players, and maybe that's scary to some, but I think Teksura said that the mod team has never had any problem with custom spells being named and described after something inappropriate like "A flying, spinning dong strikes you in the face doing 10 points of impact damage" or something crass like that. Worse comes to worst, you can just smite the entire faction and take away their toys and renown.

/ramble, and no Rationale because I'm an irrational person. Someone smarter than me will surely defend my ideas on my stead. Right?
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this. I do feel that you will see something like this in one way or another in B4. Obviously I can't say for sure and don't speak for the rest of the team, but I really like this (at the very least, the direction it's going in).
Meric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factions that I am finding the most fun to raid with right now have a renown based goal they are working towards - safe upgrades. This is reflecting in frequency of raids and target selection. Other factions I am in have +100 renown with nothing to spend it on. Renown as an objective is an after thought on raids for these guys. If it can be shifted into a mechanism whereby all/most of the faction is receiving some degree of active benefit from renown gain we may be able to generate more interest in raiding in general besides xp gain.

Kharn touches on a range of cosmetic upgrades which are really cool

Rank Naming: NW used to have this and you know that EUPD would love to be called Captain, Sergeant, Officer, Rookie etc.
Faction Clothing: As stated we would give all the initiates in SMC a Sweetbutt cocktail dress and the vets get a SMC Leather Jacket. Do want. I would have so much fun with this.

Also possibly
Rank Privileges: I want initiates to spam me with green announcement text all day - let me have this!
Interfaction Mail: Leader(s) to Leader(s) communication
Brief Tile Renaming: Whenever the SH is set down allow an overlay on the title description, i.e "You are standing outside the SMC Club House. This location is a stronghold owned by Shartak Motorcycle Club."

Obviously these are somewhat different from the out school Functional Upgrades like Gunbench which I think were/are discouraged as they supported turtling etc. However, I made some suggestions for raiding bonuses that could become renown sinks in another thread that would have practical impacts and drawbacks such as:

a) x renown grants you a "tribute package" of x aligned alchemy ingredients
b) x renown gives you +1dmg/+5%att against that x alignment or +5%search/-1ap per repair for x days.

Not gonna lie, would need really good balancing, but renown sinks that practically benefit the whole faction would be cool and encourage people to get raiding as an activity for all players, mortal to max.
Rincewind
So much universe and so little time
So much universe and so little time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four words: I love this idea.

Renown as it stands is something that is basically useless once you've achieved a decent safe size.

Meric wrote:
Obviously these are somewhat different from the out school Functional Upgrades like Gunbench which I think were/are discouraged as they supported turtling etc.

I think Gunbench etc. could possibly work if they had fairly punishing upkeep costs, or if there was a limited number of them ingame and you could steal them when raiding other people's strongholds (would that be cool? - raid a faction who has a gunbench, its your gunbench now?).
Lychwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

RE: In-SH crafting

Perhaps only allow you to choose one? You can have Gunbench OR Bowyer station OR Plain ol' Smithy OR Armory. Then some kind of upkeep on top of that.

Customization
Quote:
Brief Tile Renaming: Whenever the SH is set down allow an overlay on the title description, i.e "You are standing outside the SMC Club House. This location is a stronghold owned by Shartak Motorcycle Club."

What if, as an even more expensive reward, you get to choose which SH-viable tile type your Stronghold is (only effective while the SH is in place). This obviously requires infrastructure that isn't currently in place, but I know that this would be a godsend for factions like the Mages' Council who would love a magely tower but don't have access to one on the mortal plane. Really, any faction with a significant RP element would love it.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lychwood wrote:
Some thoughts:

RE: In-SH crafting

Perhaps only allow you to choose one? You can have Gunbench OR Bowyer station OR Plain ol' Smithy OR Armory. Then some kind of upkeep on top of that.

I can't even read the rest of your post because I can't get over how on point this suggestion was. I started day-dreaming and this thought crossed my mind before I got to your post and - bam, there it was.

I think this is a great answer to getting people out of their strongholds more often. Another plus to this is that friendly alliances with nearby strongholds might actually mean something when your neighbor's producing one good more efficiently than you are and vice-versa.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: