Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Innate armour should have a chance to decay through dmg
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Innate armour should have a chance to decay through dmg

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Innate armour should have a chance to decay through dmg Reply with quote

As the title suggest.

I think that all sources of Innate Armour should have a chance to Decay when you take damage, exactly like normal armour does - though the chance could be smaller, perhaps?

Dying should reset your Innate Armour back into "pristine" (=full, normal bonus) condition, though it should also probably be repairable through AP/MP expenditure, or maybe regenerate with time.

The reason is, that I feel that if you keep punching the Adamant Kinship dude, or the Paladin in that divine armour, for 1 damage per attack - It would be fair that sooner or later, you'd wear that magical protection out, or at least weaken it. It also seems that most people with soak get it from innate armour, which makes armour breaking stuff (like the Imp's skill) pretty useless.

Though - I'm not sure if pet attacks normally have a chance to decay normal armour. If they do, they likely _should not_ have a chance to cause innate armour to decay (or tanking a massive horde becomes nearly impossible) OR, they could have a very, very small chance to make it decay (1%? 2%?).

Likewise, the destructive blow of the Pariah likely shouldn't be 100% chance against innates. Could be, but I think 50% chance to decay might be more fair?

And yes, when I say "pristine innate armour", I'm not suggesting that innates should get the +2 that pristine condition usually gives - I mean that their normal soak would be the "pristine" soak.

Also, I'm not sure if it should be possible to destroy it completely - At destroyed, they could still grant their normal soak -5, if any. Likewise, they should likely never confer negative soak upon the user, so they should give a minimum of 0, or perhaps minimum of 1 soak.

Thoughts?
(That's from Dracula, by Stoker.)
Kiralio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of innate armor is that it doesn't do that.

Tangentially, Destructive Blow is already an incredibly powerful skill for its application against wards and fortifications. It doesn't need a buff.
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there's a point where it becomes both useful to those pinging away at a heavily armoured guy by themselves and doesn't make PMs untankable so different odds for characters and pets would be good. Also I'd suggest that Precision VWs have their odds reduced to 0% (when not using Destructive Blow) due to the nature of that skill.
ten_of_swords
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a decay factor for innate armor (in Breath 4?) devalues CP intensive soak modifier skills, benefiting low damage builds as well as T1s and T2s versus soak-based T3s. This has bottom end, short term advantages (new players/characters who want the goodness of now rejoice), but is detrimental long-term as it doesn't require you to "buy/pay in" to the system in terms of character skills or player skill learning curve. The suggestion as is, is less a blunt tax on soak and more a tax on future player/class investment. I think the ends it desires already exist in certain skills like Precision.

EDIT: Removed mention of harbinger as I misread the soak penalty. Sorry about that.

Last edited by ten_of_swords on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ten_of_swords wrote:
but is detrimental long-term as it doesn't require you to "buy/pay in" to the system in terms of character skills or player skill learning curve.

I don't see how steepening the learning curve/added CP cost automatically makes anything better, or how not steepening it with a feature is detrimental. Besides, the suggestion is that armour is only weakened until death, which is hardly an infrequent occurrence.
ten_of_swords
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikanchion wrote:
I don't see how steepening the learning curve/added CP cost automatically makes anything better, or how not steepening it with a feature is detrimental. Besides, the suggestion is that armour is only weakened until death, which is hardly an infrequent occurrence.

My perspective is no significant benefit should be free. When something is free it can be taken for granted. A free thing that has scope can make things of cost which cover that same ground less important.

For example, decay in 3.5 versus non-innate weapons/armor, from my limited experience, works at a rate where parry and weapon breaker aren't really useful.

From what may be planned for Breath 4, there will be a decay change that makes crafting skills more worthwhile, that might make a club skill like weapons breaker useful (if I read any of those planned changes correctly).

The mechanics change for item decay rewards investment.

I apologize in advance if any of that sounds garbled. Currently roasting a hanger steak cut.
Trialist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor qualities are probably not going to behave the same way in Breath 4 and this looks like a fairly extreme change for Breath 3.5.

I'm not sure what the current decay rate is, but it seems like you would need to put out a lot of AP to even see a meaningful reduction in a lot of cases. Attacks doing a decent amount of damage would likely kill the target before decay becomes a major factor, whereas most people kicking for 1 damage are probably facing some soak a few points higher than their damage level.

This also seems to be a fairly nasty nerf to ferals, for the most part. Ferals are the ones most likely to survive an attack, and if their innate armor just keeps decaying until they die, then it would turn out fairly worthless unless they die each encounter. For raiders or factioned characters being raided, death tends to be the most common result (from my experience) and so this change really wouldn't do much against them... outside the occasional string of exceptionally bad luck.

Also, I am apparently terrible about reading tonight. Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: