Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - What kind of classes do you see when you think of tier 4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of classes do you see when you think of tier 4?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Werechicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: What kind of classes do you see when you think of tier 4? Reply with quote

Tier 4.

That mythical tier, the one people wondered if it would ever exist even in the old nexus war days.

What kind of classes do you think would be accessible if a tier 4 was ever introduced?

My example:

Stygian Titan

One possible Infernal Behemoth exit

Skills mostly boost hp, damage soak and massively boost damage output.

Like it's core skill titanic form: Boost max hp by 100hp, add 3 to all soaks and receives a +5 to all melee and hand to hand attacks and +8 to all thrown attacks. Can only use heavy weapons.

What kind of classes do you think would be in a theoretical tier 4?
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice of the Admins
This titanic creature has access to all the skills in the game, does 100 damage per hit at 500% accuracy, has 5000 hit points, and is supposedly invincible. It actually dies multiple times per week because so many of us players are devious gits. Twisted Evil
Has an innate class weakness to buff2 damage and glyph spellwands Very Happy
Fight_Fire
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Champ was T4 in NW. Laughing
Padraig_Garcia
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combos - Imagine a gunwiz/ES, or a behemoth with WM pet skills.

Limit their kills to T3 and up and deduct XP if they attack T1/2s.

Then recreate Nifleheim and populate it with wandering vampire cowboys for a T4 playground.

GOLD, JERRY!
demonsthenes
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think T4 was an optional step in character development.

The reasons for this are simple:
1. You only gain XP and MO for wounding and killing other T4 characters.
2. You give only T2-equivalent XP to non-T4 characters.

That way, T4 is even more of an end-game content piece, as there would need to be specific incentives to go there. For example, T4 characters could play for more orthodoxy, becoming stronger and getting Tier 0 boni for embodying their chosen patron.
Alternatively, T4 could get its own leader boards, making for a kind of tournament play. There could even be a T4 arena.
T4 skill sets should really set the characters apart from T1-3. Simply tanking out the next nuclear apocalypse with a T4 IB, or dodging raindrops as a T4 ES isn't going to cut it. The magic classes could be able to change tiles in their respective planes, creating temporary (or even not so temporary) Vaults of Enlightenment (for example). The changes could work like infusions.

They should be game-altering without being game-breaking. It could be nice to have a few T4s in your faction, but it shouldn't define the faction, nor should it make a stronghold impervious to assault by anyone but other T4s.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of a T4 ES, I think of a Legendary Hero (or LH)

These are the humans that have gone well and above the mold of the Eternal Soldier. A Legendary Hero separates himself not just from his transcended abilities, but also the their legacy and accomplishments. Some were mistaken as the progeny of Gods, such as Hercules. Some were great figures in Earth's past, such as Genghis Khan and Julius Caesar. Others were just extraordinary people, like Chuck Norris and Theodore Roosevelt. Whomever they are, they are the best that the human race has cultivated and the mention of their names alone have been known to cow the ranks of the divine and the damned.
kummerspeck
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4 should just be characters being judged on their RP and the very best of each breath being immortalized as an NPC in the next breath
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kummerspeck wrote:
T4 should just be characters being judged on their RP and the very best of each breath being immortalized as an NPC in the next breath

Doesn't always work out since people revive their dudes. Imagine the derp to be had at a dude interacting with their own NPC.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually was a plan in breath 2 for us to have Firduath appear as a mob raid boss in Foghaven. We even got permission from Firduath to turn his character into an NPC for that. Sadly, we weren't able to get wandering mobs added until breath 3.

Breath 2 had some crazy design concepts though. We had some seriously limited functionality, but still had plans to work around it. We totally could have made Firduath, we knew how to do it: In essence, we just had to make a series of new skills in a special, unique class. The plan was to give the "Rogue Seraph" class some skills which functioned similar to the Advanced Parry skill of breath 2 which allowed a counter-attack. Then we give it massive soak and regeneration, enough HP to be a challenge, and a skill which grants automatic attacking every AP tick.

The best part is... Since it would technically be a character. It could be played by an admin for certain situations. Like, if we hear a faction intends to try and take him down, an admin could connect to the character and banter at them while they are attacking. Since he'd only be attacking on the AP tick or when attacked, we expected it to be a pretty casual and fun thing.
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the NPC ideas, It would even be cool to have different level NPC factions to raid.
demonsthenes
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible scenario would be to make T4s into avatars of the different powers. Either by gaining a few skills or signing the character over to the power in question, like putting NCs into the direct service (or control) of Goros.
That way, the entire T4 faction idea becomes a lot more serviceable, even if the characters become NPCs.

Alternatively, it would create the need to recycle characters more often, possibly earning the players a bonus on their next character (start with guild membership in Tier 1? Get a bonus on repair, search, movement, etc for their new mortal?).

Even if the characters remain in player control, perhaps entering T4 requires Tier 1 standing in a guild, meaning a prospective T4 has to leave their faction, gain enough orthodoxy and then be able to visit a guild stronghold. Maybe guild strongholds don't require infusions to empower them, but rising levels of orthodoxy, paired with frequent culling of the competition?

Regardless of what the exact mechanism is, the corresponding skills for the T4 should then be less based on class and more based on patron, perhaps expanding on the guild bonus concept. Damage type changes even for basic attacks, dodge/soak/movement bonus depending on plane, free AP generation for working towards more orthodoxy (regain AP for repairing, regain AP for smiting T4 demons/angels, regain AP for reading books or finding lore).
GCP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
There actually was a plan in breath 2 for us to have Firduath appear as a mob raid boss in Foghaven. We even got permission from Firduath to turn his character into an NPC for that. Sadly, we weren't able to get wandering mobs added until breath 3.

I had a T2 Paladin (Gronteg the Dismembered) that found Firduath when he was doing his Rogue Seraph thing through Valhalla (when he was one of 2 or 3 T3's in the game IIRC) and APed out trying to kill him. I was so pumped at even just finding him. Emoted a few times. He had emoted back when I logged back in to find to my shock I was still alive. Seems I had caught him at a bad MO time and he couldn't afford to punish me.

So memorable!
Werechicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonsthenes wrote:

Even if the characters remain in player control, perhaps entering T4 requires Tier 1 standing in a guild, meaning a prospective T4 has to leave their faction, gain enough orthodoxy and then be able to visit a guild stronghold. Maybe guild strongholds don't require infusions to empower them, but rising levels of orthodoxy, paired with frequent culling of the competition?

Regardless of what the exact mechanism is, the corresponding skills for the T4 should then be less based on class and more based on patron, perhaps expanding on the guild bonus concept. Damage type changes even for basic attacks, dodge/soak/movement bonus depending on plane, free AP generation for working towards more orthodoxy (regain AP for repairing, regain AP for smiting T4 demons/angels, regain AP for reading books or finding lore).

I had a slightly similar thought, I was thinking of making it a suggestion but I though it would be outside what we should suggest.

Namely a lvl 30 character can go to their class patrons shrine and become a tier 4 class, gains a free core skill and can select one extra skill from a list. Needs a high amount of orthodoxy to do this and can gain more skills by getting more orthodoxy.

Although in that case it would be allot more influenced by the class it is an exit from.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCP wrote:
Teksura wrote:

I had a T2 Paladin (Gronteg the Dismembered) that found Firduath when he was doing his Rogue Seraph thing through Valhalla (when he was one of 2 or 3 T3's in the game IIRC) and APed out trying to kill him. I was so pumped at even just finding him. Emoted a few times. He had emoted back when I logged back in to find to my shock I was still alive. Seems I had caught him at a bad MO time and he couldn't afford to punish me.

So memorable!

Even Firduath admitted he hadn't really done anything extreme, he just shot other angels when his morality permitted him to do so. He didn't even kill that many angels. But he was the first angel to do it, and it was such a shock to those angels that a legend was born.

Last edited by Teksura on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skritz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it existed (and I doubt it ever will), I would like for only 2-3, maybe 4 generic (albeit powerful and specialized) path that anyone could take. Or at least, say, cut between the fighter/mage classes and/or possibly cut by alignement.

Example: Say, combat classed could pick...I don't know, let's call them Legendary Champion, a solo combat beast and Legendary General a support/buff guy. Any combat class could pick that and the skills would all benefit a certain playstyle of pure combat characters. In this case, solo and team player.

Mage and hybrids would have another split with different specialization. It's less work than two more exits for EACH Tier 3 class. Or maybe add an extra option for angel and demons, which they can pick in addition to their two options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: