Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - User Interface Overhaul
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User Interface Overhaul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonner
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: User Interface Overhaul Reply with quote

To put it very simply, the entire game UI feels incredibly 90s and clunky. There are too many hard edges, uninspiring colours and there are at least 55 shades of grey. The general layout isn't too bad. A seperate box for both pets and occupants of an area would make it immediately less cluttered but the biggest difference would come from an overhaul of the colours and the fonts. I could probably run a mockup of something if anyone would be interested, but I just felt it needed to be put out there.

It's 2013. Squares and grey are so square...And grey
Dissident

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish there's a darker theme to save my eyes the pain of too much white. Embarassed
Lijitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, I really hated the UI change NW went through when it moved to the 'bubble' style. It looked terrible. I like hard edges and simple information. I agree there could be some quality of life changes, but I like it the way it is now.
sohdbrimks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the style now too, but I have no preference for one way or another.

Looking at some NW screenshots though, i think the line between the blocks on the map would look better black instead of white. And maybe make the tile icons black too
Just a random idea
Bonner
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so here's my first revision. I've tried a softer font for the headings (Gentium Basic), moved the occupants and pets to their own box so as to reduce screen clutter, Expanded the top information bar because it's important and needs to be bigger (Yes I ripped the colours for that entirely from a NW screenshot. Sue me, I like them) and I also added a background colour to help reduce the glare from the white. I'm not sure about the colour itself but it's the first not-obnoxious thing I found and you get the idea.

Opinions? Flamewars?
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the occupants tab being below the map.
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:
This. Oh, so much This.

I would also like there to be a maximum HP somewhere on the page - I normally have to disconnect from the character to find out whether they're at full health or should snack on some food. Unfortunately, adding more numbers to the top bar could increase clutter. it already has plenty of numbers.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:

Can less-wide monitors handle it, though? I do agree that real estate is terribly wasted, but there may be playability reasons for it.
Zamiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:

Can less-wide monitors handle it, though? I do agree that real estate is terribly wasted, but there may be playability reasons for it.

It would essentially depend on how old of mobile devices you intend to worry about. My old design attempted to work within 1024 x 768 but I am a bad web designer so it didn't turn out too great.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about mobile devices (although I assume they should be a consideration).

This very page doesn't fit horizontally on my screen. My screen's not very wide.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:
I'm not talking about mobile devices (although I assume they should be a consideration).

This very page doesn't fit horizontally on my screen. My screen's not very wide.

What resolution are you working to?
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1152 x 864

could be 1280x800 if I have my monitors mixed up.

EDIT: But on both of them I have to scroll to the right to get the full picture in the sample image. Or on this monitor to press the "Edit" button.

EDIT 2: Confirmed it's 1152 x 864

I just changed it to 1280 x 1024. Still have to scroll, just not that much. I really think it's the physical width of the monitor that's an issue, because the picture doesn't resize frames like the game itself does.

But the point stands. You have to make sure the frame resizing on a smaller monitor will still keep the game playable if the people are moved under the map.

(Map's too big for its britches imo -- it's not a graphics gem, so why not shrink it a lot?)
Dissident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to work on three columns?
Zamiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissident wrote:
Would it be possible to work on three columns?

I tried a 3-column layout... It does not work well at all.
When you're constrained for width (1024x768 is still ~13% of people out there, so that's basicly the resolution you have to work with.) more columns makes things worse, not better.
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the top bar and having the occupants under the map. How will that work with 50+ people and 100+ pets in a square though?

I also often wonder if I'm at full HP and would like that on the game page, but I agree that it may add to the clutter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: