Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Calling nexus war veterans - A history of nexus war/clash
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling nexus war veterans - A history of nexus war/clash
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy
Nexus Junkie
Nexus Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Calling nexus war veterans - A history of nexus war/clash Reply with quote

So I'm looking for a history of nexus war and clash, how it started, vaguely accurate dates chucked in with some of the memorable events. If possible going all the way back to day 1.

For example.

June 200X Jorm (Brandon Harris) started Nexus War game after playing Urban dead. There was only valhalla. Back in the beginning there were wards of xyz. A memorable event involving an ES and 1000 amps had him rip through 3 factions, after that maximum ap was enforced.

Later in 200X gehenna and elysium were introduced bla bla.

Straylight...introduction of elder powers, nifleheim, nimbus, meat day, the monsters and some of the hunts (did haldos ever actually die?) end of nexus clash, nexus war came to an end on Isle of gates as the outer planes were annihilated.

Nexus clash started in (2008?) Bob took the reigns. Breath 1, 2, 3 brief updates etc

What can you remember?
TDL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well there's a lot to remember from just NW...

Meat Day, for one. The Alliance of Freewill. The arrival of...ah, what were they called...D.A.V.R.O.S.? Some faction called 'D' anyway.

The time people took out the dragon and the server crashed. So on, so on...I've a much harder time finding moments in Clash.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DARIUS was the name.
The great raid on OS that crashed the server
The great raid on Acta (hail Malcolm!)
The war on Death Cloud
The creation of the Ragged Fortress
Firduath, the rogue angel
The Foghaven maze
Chaos Chaos Chaos orbiting the Ragged Fortress
Wolves with no hands and no mouth
The raging discussions over the morality of Hand of Zealotry, and its use on mortal book readers in Paradise libraries
And in that vein, Demons Without Borders
The Ragged War on the Forgotten City
Endless plains of dust...
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Tear Pie
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot, but as far as things that haven't been mentioned yet go...

The heated debates over RRF's Unaligned credentials. I think they eventually just said they were aligned to BARHAH and that was that.

The Big Blob of Evil and all the wars thereof.

The (first) Raggedy Stygian Themepark, from its stealthy origins to its demise at the hands of very savvy PoR real estate speculation.

The apocalyptic battle between the Cult of Hashaa and Haldos for the dying plane of Nifleheim.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Calling nexus war veterans - A history of nexus war/clas Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
June 200X Jorm (Brandon Harris) started Nexus War game after playing Urban dead. There was only valhalla. Back in the beginning there were wards of xyz. A memorable event involving an ES and 1000 amps had him rip through 3 factions, after that maximum ap was enforced.

Actually, the AP cap was done in part due to 2 factions which spent loads of time to stockpile anphets for raids.

1 of those factions was Eternals, I believe. I think it was Hungerer who spammed an obscene amount of AOE using them. They got their anphets legit.

The other was called Black Berets. They got their anphets by searching with all of their alts and switching their alts in so they could dump their inventories into the safe. The alt abuse was steep enough to piss off jorm to the point where after they raided 2 factions using these, he went to great pains to delete all anphets from their faction safe. The leader of Black Berets whined about this because they "went through a lot of work to get them", and jorm gave exactly 0 shits because of the alt abuse involved in collecting them.

Anyway. Lets see what history I can work out. I'm bad with dates but good with details, so maybe someone can offer dates for things I describe here.

It started for a couple reasons. One reason was because jorm, having played Urban Dead for a long time, wanted to see if he could write a game like that. In part, it was a personal challenge for himself. Another reason was because he saw that his beloved community within the game of Urban Dead, specifically his buddies in the RRF, were slowly losing interest. Jorm wanted to preserve the community that had been built, and felt that a new game would help maintain interest.

Nexus War, PRE-Alpha

Pre-Alpha of Nexus War was pretty much only for members of the original dev/mod team. The basic frmework of the game barely even existed at this point. I don't have many details because I wasn't there, but I'm told that for a large part of it, moving wasn't even a thing that was implemented. Everyone spawned in 1 single tile and never left it.

Nexus War, Alpha

When it was "ready", jorm announced it and the game went into Alpha. I believe that Northcamp was the only neighborhood for this. Chafin Memorial Hospital (named after jorm's late grandmother, I believe) was *the* place to be. It was full of people, and healers, and exploding Pariahs. Thing about Explosive Murder at the time was that it simply did damage to all characters in the location equal to the level of the character. No attack roll, just damage. So an exploding Pariah at the time would do about 15 or so damage more often than not, to everyone. The healers rejoiced. Well, one day jorm caught wind that two level 15 Pariahs had *just* exploded back to back in the hospital, meaning everyone was 30 HP down. So, jorm sent his level 30 admin made Infernal Behemoth to explode as well, killing pretty much everyone in the hospital. Another quite memorable event from Alpha would have to be when Petrosjecko dropped his fists. See, they showed up in the inventory, and Petro was the only one crazy enough to click that shiny shiny DROP button next to them. So, about a minute later, the cry went out... "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM! I DROPPED MY FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTS!"

Nexus War: Beta
This is where I joined, very early beta. So, my story will stop being secondhand information from hereon out.

I know that Downtown was added at some point in early beta. Very early. So was Edgetown and the military fort. Stroth's Oblivion Squadron was the largest faction in the game. Nearly everyone had a character in it, mostly because it offered the best bonuses. OS was giving +3 damage, +5% attack, and +1 Soak. There were two factions; DARIS, as well as the Knights of L. Ron, who were run by the goons from the Something Awful forum. The thing about DARIS was that they weren't shy about their opinions. They were very vocal against the idea of having more than one character. They demanded that jorm limit people to 1 character per person. jorm would not do this, so they protested by overtly alt abusing. But, they were kinda classy about it looking back at things. Sure, they cheated like hell, but they never denied it. They had spies in OS and all other major faction so they could read the faction mails, and flaunted this to everyone. Orginizing a raid against them was very difficult because DARIS would catch wind of the raid and prepare a defense. They called it legit because the system allowed it. If you don't like it, do something about it if you can. These spies also tended to troll the hell out of the factions they plagued. They'd take things from the safe and lock the doors. Keep in mind, this is before door locking sent a notification to everyone. So, this was a very big problem for OS. Now, rather than whine or complain, Stroth opted to issue the greatest factional order the Nexus ever saw. "You are hereby ordered to KILL EVERY MOTHERFUCKER YOU FIND WITH THE ENGINEERING SKILL so they will stop repairing our door!" Eventually, a massive coalition of factional leaders would organize together against DARIS. The raid was by personal invite only. You had to be very much involved in the factional working, and very much trusted to be invited on this raid. DARIS was blindsided by it. They got pissed, and kicked everyone from their faction and ragequit the Nexus, accusing everyone else of cheating.

Eventually, 2 new islands opened up. There was a ferry which allowed folks to travel between them. Paradise and Stygia doubled in size as well, but were still fairly barren except for the Vaults.

Eventually, the vault issue would change. jorm wanted to shake things up, and implemented a skill called Hand of Zealotry, allowing an angel to kill anyone of neutral morality without penalty. This spawned the greatest IC drama thread ever. The Nexus was divided on the issue. The Zealots felt that all neutrality should be purged from Paradise on sight until such time as they "correct" their morality. Sympathizers tended to argue that the neutrals were not harming anything, and that driving them out may drive them to stand beside the demons in the long run. Some (such as myself) chose to devote their position to hunting and killing Zealots. These Zealot Hunters sought to avenge the unjust deaths within the vaults.

In the end, it was AOE that killed the vaults. It became too common for the vault population to withstand, and stopped being a community hangout after that. Many forms of AOE were nerfed some time after that. Spell AOE (From a scroll in particular) was nerfed to require more AP after Magi Anonymous leveled TSO using it. With their first Wizard sent in. We had 5 people lined up for AOE. I was the second in line, and didn't get to do any because Lina Inverse cleared everything by herself. Whups, guess that Death Cloud was a little overpowered? It was Grim who got Breath of the Death Child nerfed. He did so using only the power of math. Simply showing how much damage can be caused by a Void Walker with some soul ice provided by a dark oppressor.

At some point later on, Purg was added. The Blood Hawk Brigade made the entire Nexus learn to fear the very name of Foghaven. They did so because they built a maze constructed out of barricades in the bloody place. If you spawned in Foghaven and did not have flight, you were pretty much fucked. It was better to just wait to die than it was to try to exit. That all ended when Oblivion Squadron moved to Foghaven and kicked the BHB out. They did so right in the middle of the BHB working to upgrade their maze to a new design.

At some point, the dragon was added. The community gathered around to kill it. jorm sat in his admin seat and watched. Now, everyone always talks about how the game crashed and the badges and XP were given out nearly a hundred times, but few saw the event from the perspective which could see jorm's reaction to this. The conversation went something like this:

Jorm: Huh. That's odd. Admin says the dragon has, like -500 HP.
Me: Uhh. It looks like I just gained a several hundred CP here.
Jorm: What
Me: Yeah... It keeps giving us the badges over and over and over...
Jorm: Fuck. Tell people NOT TO SPEND THE CP. Right now.

See, jorm was able to fix everything, but ONLY if a character did not spend the CP they earned. A few characters did, and jorm had to remove them from the player's accounts until he could work out a way to remove skills from a character. This feature simply didn't exist.

When jorm started talking about Straylight, everyone got excited. However, there were a few problems. Straylight was a massive rebuild of everything. It was adding many entirely new things such as cults. It required a lot of time to do it right. To make things worse, jorm was going through several RL issues which prevented him from putting much work in on Straylight. Eventually, people started giving him a lot of grief over it. Calling it vaporware and being generally obnoxious about it. finally, jorm got fed up and pushed it live, in an unfinished state. The plan was to fix everything after the fact. However, shortly thereafter, jorm got a job with EA. EA made him sign a non-competitive agreement saying that any code he writes for any sort of game would be property of EA. This meant that if jorm was caught adding new features to NW, it would become property of EA. Sucks, huh? He could no longer work on NW. At all. The cult system never got fixed, and remained in a perpetually broken state.

The whole thing started to wind down when jorm saw he could no longer afford the hosting. He declared it the end of days, gave admin rights to all of his devs, and instructed us to play as Elder Powers walking with the players. Anything was legit. The game was officially over, and anything in the end of days was considered a "bonus". So, the elder powers would grant stuff to characters. roleplay with everyone.

Nexus Clash Pre-Alpha

BobGeneric started work on Nexus Clash to see if he could. Pre-Alpha consisted of the original dev team. We had only 1 neighborhood, Harrison Heights. And we always spawned on the same tile right smack in the middle. There wasn't much to it, really. The development name we were using was Pipewrench Fight. This had a lot to do with Bob having seen this video, and it somehow being the original inspiration to make Nexus Clash happen. I don't know why. There are actually bits of the code that STILL make reference to Pipewrench Fight. Bob sometimes goes back and watches that video when he needs motivation.

Nexus Clash Alpha

For the purpose of this header, Alpha refers to breath 1. You'll see why later. Most of this breath was all about everyone being happy to have NW back, being interested in the new classes but disappointed because they weren't well made. The game went under the the name WIGBL (Worlds In Global Battle Locked), which was an awkward and forced name. This is because Bob was using an old domain he already owned. I *think* ir was originally for The Whitemarsh Girls Basketball League, but I could be mistaken. I know it was for some girls basketball league.

Nexus Clash "Beta" (but not really.)
Breath 2 was celebrated as the "beta" release of NC. But, nothing major actually changed except for the prime plane. This was replaced by a horrible idea of having several "shards" which connected to each other. In theory, it was easy to navigate. In fact, many places were very close to pretty much everywhere else in the nexus. But, people found the portals confusing and frustrating. It was not intuitive enough to navigate, and everyone had to check maps every time.

Nexus Clash Beta (for real this time)
When it came time for the breath 3 work to begin, the devs were finally put in a place of major control over the direction of the game and what happens. The information collected from the 2 years which came before allowed us to define specific roles for classes, take massive leaps forward in game balance, and finally give the new classes some purpose and actual skills. By the time it came out, Bob had to admit that breath 3 marked the start of Beta, not breath 2. However, breath 3 was always designed to be a "stopping point" while working on the grand rebuild. It's only half way to what we actually wanted to do. We simply couldn't rebuild everything in one go. Some problems we have (like the locking down of weapon trees to classes) are stopgap fixes to simplify the balance in this state. the game you're playing now is in a half-baked state.

Nexus Clash... Future
Breath 4 will seek to finish what was started in the grand rebuild of breath 3. It's the second half of what we sought to do back then. It is *possible* breath 4 might be considered leaving beta, but unlikely. I thing breath 5 might mark the end of beta. It would make sense, as breath 4 is just finishing what we started in breath 3, and breath 5 will likely be just polishing off everything we screw up, then building upon the game we have.
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
1 of those factions was Eternals, I believe. I think it was Hungerer who spammed an obscene amount of AOE using them. They got their anphets legit. 

It was, took weeks of dedicated searching and days of just passing but he managed to go from something like level 23 to maxing in one raid.

The ap limit was introduced shortly after this.

There is a before and after screenshot but it may have expired, I'll look to see if I have a copy saved when I get home.

(With help)

Last edited by corky on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Arimith
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you have forgotten this one Tek? The AP cap was a direct response to this, not to AoE issues. (implemented about 3 weeks after)

http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=11759

I don't recall the details, but the 3 factions thing happened I think the next day while he still had around 500-1000ap left and had to do *something* with it...

You can pull quite a few dates out of the changelogs I think: http://wiki.nexuswar.com/index.php/Changelog/1.4
Lijitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:

Was it actually the Raggeds that ran the fortress in Valhalla back in NW? I used to absolutely love that thing for my pacifist, it provided a perfect place to sleep and pick up FAKs when I wasn't out healing.
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lijitsu wrote:
Kylinn wrote:

Was it actually the Raggeds that ran the fortress in Valhalla back in NW? I used to absolutely love that thing for my pacifist, it provided a perfect place to sleep and pick up FAKs when I wasn't out healing.
I believe that ownership (stewardship?) belonged to the Friends of the Wrench at one point, and the Ragged Philanthropists at another. The Raggeds later replaced the Friends - I was one of those Friends given the task of transferring the contents of the safe out.

Checked: According to here and here, it was Raggeds at first. The Raggeds then moved elsewhere for awhile, so the Friends of the Wrench protected the fortress. The Raggeds later returned, replacing the Friends.
Fremen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm recalling correctly, the Wrench was protected at first by Creedy Defense Force and a few other factions, then the Raggeds moved in and introduced a whole new level of protection with barricades and wards, then the Friends of the Wrench defended later still.
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fremen wrote:
If I'm recalling correctly, the Wrench was protected at first by Creedy Defense Force and a few other factions
Oh, I stand corrected.
Whytemeet
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the time when The Demon's Next Door completed the longest raid in Nexus War history!

http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=5176
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDF were in the area for the very beginning of open beta. By a few months in, the CDF had moved out and the RP seized the chance to move from their former home into the Wrench and, soon after, set up the system of barricades and wards which became known as the Ragged Fortress. Even before the move, the Raggies had striven to protect their immediate area and become known for 'givenation' - the crafting and giving away of pristine weapons and armour, which were scarce and valuable items in the beginning game.

Somewhat later on when the Ragged's founder, Throctukes, proposed to move the faction to the Forgotten City and attempt to evict the evils there, a solid core of the old RP cadre refused to abandon their mission of making the Wrench a safe place and created the splinter faction, the Friends of the Wrench.

After months of an increasingly bitter struggle, the Raggeds admitted that the Forgotten War was a lost cause. They proclaimed their independence from Throctukes and moved back to Valhalla.
Toben
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tek gave a pretty good overview, I think, but since I was around for Alpha I can probably add a few details of the early days. I checked and I still have access to the old barhah.com Nexus War alpha forums (which are hilarious) so if you have specific questions about when stuff happened back then or when features got implemented I can look it up if you need.

The start: well, Urban Dead had serious balance problems. I am at a loss to remember exactly the event that prompted it, but a large portion of the dedicated zombie playerbase decided to go on strike around December 2005; the strike lasted about a month IIRC. Jorm around this time (~January 2006) decided to make his own game. A bunch of us other zombie players got drafted into the early testing; I missed the first few weeks (Petro dropping his hands; there being only 1 square) but got roped in after not-too-long.

Alpha: There were not a lot of major in-game events in the Alpha days because character wipes tended to accompany almost every major game update. A few things that spring to mind, though:
-The top two killers in the early days were Kibbs and the Northcamp Slasher (forget who played the latter, maybe TheHermit?) Kibbs used to just sit out in the open, but be online, and wait for someone to be foolish enough to attack him...he had a fast 'net connection and blood taste, so he tended to win live combats. The Northcamp Slasher just lurked around the university and kept it pretty much devoid of life (and later got an exploration badge there named for them).
-A few major mechanics were different back then. Number one: corpse-looting. When you died, you respawned with nothing, but you left behind a corpse that you (or anyone) could loot, spending 1AP to get 1 random item from your (former) inventory. People who had particularly valuable items they wanted to keep (there were a couple of Hateblades around, for example) would stuff their inventories with newspapers to increase the chances any would-be looter would get loaded down with newspapers and not get to the Hateblade or whatever.
-Newspapers were not usable; they were wearable. (I still miss this.)
-Morality was not capped. This IIRC was changed after a few instances of angels getting really high morality (think 300-400+) and then killing ALL of the other angels without "falling".
-Early major factions: Oblivion Squadron (first faction ever; Stroth created it literally minutes after Jorm added the mechanics of factions to the game), the PEC (founded/run by LibrarianBrent, sadly I don't remember what the acronym stood for...was later replaced by the League of Science Heroes [LoSH]), The Claw, The Faithful, and of course the RRF. Satan's Workshop was the earliest "nonviolent" faction, going for being a trading/crafting center instead.
-The very first instance of "factional drama" in Nexus history was the Claw's raid on The Faithful, carried out by hiding behind the LoSH's faction ward as a staging ground (first time that had ever been done). Generated a bunch of forum posts. Looking at the forums, it took place in early May 2006, which makes sense because it was literally only a week or two before Beta opened, which was either late May or early June 2006 (I presume the regular old NW forums could answer that).

I could elaborate on a bunch of the other thing folks here have mentioned and probably just endlessly go on an on telling stories of olden times but it might be a little more focused if you have more specific questions. I've also got a few old screenshots/logs/maps and so on sitting around (including a ridiculously long log from playing Tholaghru in the last days of Nexus War [Sept. 24, 2009 through Oct 12, 2009], and a possibly even longer log of the First Dragon Hunt [Jan. 20, 2007] - wouldn't be quite so long except there's 4 pages of lines awarding CP for slaying the beast...) if those would be helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: