Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - player numbers....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

player numbers....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honestmistake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: player numbers.... Reply with quote

Can anyone think of reasonable ways to increase player numbers because at the moment it all seems very empty Sad
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also going down, just a few weeks ago it was over 1000.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that making the map smaller would help by forcing everyone closer together. We just don't have the population for such a large map. I'd recomment cutting Elysium and Gehenna by a third to a half each and Purgatorio by at least a half to two-thirds (or doing away with it entirely).
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing with the idea of having Gehenna, Elysium, and Purgatorio in one plane. Odd as it seems, it would help keep every area closer together. Elysium and Gehenna could be at either ends and Purg could be in the middle as a sort of buffer zone. It would surely be interesting, and make everyone be somewhat closer together.
B4 Valhalla Map Preview
pancakes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this happened last breath also, about halfway+ through people stopped playing. I think it's sort of like a 'why bother doing so many things/grinding etc when the game is "almost over".

Other things are just sort of a chain reaction like I heard most of the ID leaders idled and that probably discouraged a lot of the members.

For faction players (which I assume is a large chunk of the playerbase) this game depends heavily on strong leadership.

Anyway we are all beta testers here and this is OUR game, if you want to help, start telling people you know about the game. Post on forums etc. That's part of why AH grew to the 2nd largest faction in our first breath of existance.

We recruited several players from another MMO (Estiah), as well as informed old NW players about NC and made some new friends here along the way.

Its easy to say "the game is dying" "players are quitting" but if we care about that what are WE doing to stop it?

I've been doing my best to get AH as excited for next breath as we have been for this breath. Yes some people are idling but we can still clear 2 factions after being 'raided' twice in one day so I am not too worried yet. Smile

<GK> I now have 3 puppies, and 3 kittens, thinking about eating them
Tathers
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a small map is the full answer. I've never been a fan of small maps myself. I like exploring. At least when you have defining features or places on a map, unlike the current Valhalla.

The game is kinda tough for a casual person to get into. It is more of the advanced side of these type of games. For instance, I had no idea how spell systems worked when I started. I had a shepard last breath and I didn't even bother with spells, cause I didn't know how to use them, or how much CP would be used in taking these spells, or how much CP one could possibly get. I've recently started a Defiler this time around and I want to try these spells a bit, but still have the caution of not knowing the specifcs of things, and how much CP I have to spend on these without a specific build in mind. Specific builds to make the most of your character is big hurdle in this game to get around. And that's all settled in the first few skills you choose. When this breath started, I wanted to play one class, but because I misinterpreted how certain skills worked, I ended up having to choose something completely different and not what I was looking for. Like if you choose hand to hand combat, there seems, to me anyways a casual observer, that only one class in each tree that benefits in hand to hand. (I can't even think of a good class that does). I think there needs to be some sort of flexibility added to these Tier 3 classes to allow a casual gamer some flexibility if one finds oneself stuck in these builds but doesn't want to start all over again.

The other thing that can be offputting is the treatment some people get on the forum. This hasn't been happening as much recently, but it has happened in the past, especially around when I first started.

Another thing is limiting how people can play their game. Here's an example of that. The previous breath I played a revenant, and had fun with him. To me at least, he seemed like a jack of all trades, you could have a bit of pets, you could be an exclusive hunter, or whatnot. I didn't really feel confined into one box. One thing I didn't want to pick though was the Strength of Darkness skill, mainly because I had no idea how night and day works in the Nexus, and I didn't want to limit when I could play. Sure, I could walk around in daylight, but it seemed a waste. I could invest in the 60CP child skill of it so I could, but again, that seemed like a waste of CP for me, so I didn't bother with it. This breath, I wanted to try out the revenant again, but didn't, because my free skill was Strength of Darkness, and it would put me at this disadvantage of when I could play him. It could be a minor one, but still a disadvantage. Again, this is a diatribe for a bit of flexibility added to the classes.

One thing I honestly not a huge fan of is factions. I know I'm in the minority here, and most of my characters are in on, but I feel it creates a massive unfair advantage to be part of a faction or to try it out without one. This can also be a turning away point in someone's first few days here on the game.

So hopefully this helps in determining ways to improve the game. I am sorry for the ramble, it's a result of having a newborn son in the house and a massive lack of sleep from it.
bloarg
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think smaller maps would solve most of the problems. as majority of the action and leveling happens when players run into one another. To increase this, you need to shrink the field of play so that player density increases.

There's nothing to stop still having some large areas to go explore (if you want), but maybe shrink Valhalla (or at least stop dividing it up into islands), connect Gehenna and Elysium and make the combined map much smaller, and only have spawning in these three new smaller areas.

Leave Purgatorio as a place to go explore but no spawning there - there's nothing worse in a low-player game to get spawned on the far side of Purgatorio and spend 2 AP cycles just looking for someone.

It's very easy to expand the game back once it's "too full", but right now the opposite problem is happening - there's not a lot happening so the player base is getting smaller. If I tried to introduce a new player to it right now, they'd likely log in a couple of times and never see anyone. Not very exciting. Bring them into a tight map full of angels and demons and stuff, and let them have fun interacting with other players - killing them and being killed by them!

My 2 cents!
happy_trauma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tathers wrote:
it's a result of having a newborn son in the house

To heck with the game... Congratulations!
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded!
Skritz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definately prefer a smaller map. Also, I'm also not a fan of factions anymore. It always encouraged people to stick inside their strongholds. Its nice in theory but when the population dwindle it become a real bitch to hunt. We need a new way to handle factions.
Bongofury
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm only a player so i guess it's NOT MY GAME.

But the answer you are looking for is; I guess most are less stubborn than me.

I try hard to have fun but it's not easy.

The problem is not the map. Neither is the leadership.

Maybe you should try to think outside the box.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if spawn points weren't as dynamic people wouldn't be as scattered. So far, to me they feel quite random on the planes. Maybe there should be 3 or 4 different areas maybe 9x9 or neighborhood specific where people regularly spawn. You can easily find people in these areas (similar to AK) and you can still have a large map.

It would increase population density in those spawn "points" or neighborhoods and someone could easily get out of range and go explore with an AP cycle.
B4 Valhalla Map Preview
Buttercup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like reading about all the complicated stuff that goes on in the game and what people do with it, but when I played I just wanted to know what skills to get, without thinking too hard about it, so I'd have an uncomplicated way to murder people and have a kill:death ratio above 1.0

So, I liked using hide, even though I spent more AP doing that than if I just respawned, because that helped me die less.
EstimatedProphet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't most characters factioned up, and hiding in strongholds? However small the map is, hunting is gonna be hard when there are more hunters than feral targets.

I think the NPC monsters are a great touch, and have been having a good time hunting those. My feral doesn't even die every day, wandering the barren hellscape as he does. I think the big maps are fun, and would be upset to see them shrunk, just to ensure that nobody lives more than a few minutes outside a SH. If you're hellbent on killing as many other players as you can, go to high traffic areas or raid.
CarelessWill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont lie, I'm a pretty new player to this game (don't even have a tier3 character yet). All my characters are in factions but I've only ever once been inside my own faction's stronghold (dumping potions and healing items into my locker to make room for spellgems).

I don't think I've ever attacked an NPC in earnest, because of their insta-attack. None of my characters are tanky enough to stroll away from their damage, or ganky enough (yet) to kill a pet/NPC in two hits.
Killing players is simply where it's at. You can killspeech/emote at them, get the best XP from them, and unless they have an aura, enchanted clothing, or a petshield, there's no insta-attack.

I don't know if shrinking the map as a whole is a good idea. I think Purgatory and Gehenna (I've very little experience with Elysium) need either more gates to Valhalla, or some of their neighborhoods/regions need to be lopped off. OR they need to have less 'walls' preventing easy movement across the realms, so it's easier to travel around them, especially as a lower-mid level character without travel skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: