Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [Interface] Class Icon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Interface] Class Icon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Repinuj
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: [Interface] Class Icon Reply with quote

Add a class icon alongside the Health / Magic / Alignment icons next to a character's name.

Everyone starts out being able to see the class of a character of a Tier above them, which is lost when they Tier up in favor of the character's name. This information is still available, but harder to get to. Having it on the main screen would help with avoiding confusion in crowded buildings, adding another method of differentiating people.

Flavor-wise, it would be a representation of the character seeing whether someone has horns or claws or a halo or is packing or what-not.

For example some ideas:

Mortal - A smaller version of the yellow stick figure from the Map, or just a yellow smiley face (or frowny face) for kicks

Pariah - black claw
    Doom Howler - black flame, or a mini version of that profile face from the Wiki
    Infernal Behemoth - black whip
    Void Walker - a mini version of the face from the Wiki, sans glowy mouth and eyes; or that grin from NW, if doable

Defiler - reddish glowy orb
    Corrupter - reddish glowy lance, or maybe cat-o-nine-tails
    Dark Oppressor - mini shoulder view with those distinctive shoulder spikes from the Wiki, with a reddish aura
    Wyrm Master - a tentacle, or the alien-ish head from the Wiki in profile

Myrmidon - a grey sword
    Eternal Soldier - a grey Sub-Machine Gun; or a grey fist
    Revenant - a fanged snout
    Nexus Champion - a tribal tattoo

Sorcerer - a yellowish glowy orb
    Elementalist - a quartered square, four colors denoting the elements
    Lich - a skull, with yellowish glowy eyes (?)
    Wizard - a yellowish pentagram

Paladin - a white glowy breastplate
    Divine Herald - a white glowy spear, or a glowy trumpet (?)
    Seraph - clockwork wings, or maybe just a white clockwork gear
    Holy Champion - a white glowy fist

Shepherd - a bluish glowy shepherd's staff, maybe like in NW, or maybe something more original
    Advocate - that glowy freaky multi-eyed face from the Wiki
    Archon - a bluish glowy sword, or maybe a glowy bluish-white mushroom cloud (?)
    Lightspeaker - a blue clockwork pet (?)

Fallen - a mini version of that distinctive face from the Wiki (?)
    Redeemed - a bluish glowy crossbow, or a cowled head

Given the icon size, the color would probably have to play a big part in making them recognizable. Black and red for the demons, blue and white for the angels, and grey and yellow-orange (flame) for the transcendents. Spellcaster icons would favor red, blue, and yellow. Combat icons would favor black, white, and grey.

You get the idea. Could be something else. Could probably rip some of them from the Nexus War wiki, especially the Void Walker grin.

I'll try to contribute some actual icons later on.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be made a rollover on their name, which is probably way easier code-wise if it's desirable.
Repinuj
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean when you place your pointer over the name? It would be better than having to open a new page, yes. But you'd still have to hover the cursor over every name individually. It'd be better yet to see them all at once, just like you can see morality or health.
corky
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could have a pre straylight target pane instead? (I miss the target pane ok? all the character info you really want without having to visit their profile page)
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky wrote:
Maybe we could have a pre straylight target pane instead? (I miss the target pane ok? all the character info you really want without having to visit their profile page)
Yessss. Having to get a separate pane is a pain.

However, the icon idea as a quick summary is a good idea. My main concern is how complicated all those little icons would be. Perhaps just four - Mortal, Demon, Angel, Nexal - would suffice. It wouldn't be as detailed, but then neither is the little red health box. And, like the health box, it could provide the specific race/class details on a mouse-hover.
Ongewitter
Wikinator
Wikinator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
corky wrote:
Yessss. Having to get a separate pane is a pain.

However, the icon idea as a quick summary is a good idea. My main concern is how complicated all those little icons would be. Perhaps just four - Mortal, Demon, Angel, Nexal - would suffice. It wouldn't be as detailed, but then neither is the little red health box. And, like the health box, it could provide the specific race/class details on a mouse-hover.

Feature already exists: Sense Morality.
Since most angels adhere to the +20MO ting, most demons do the same for -20MO and no one cares what MO transcended get.
The point of seeing what class someone is, is supposed to be that you can tell what armor to expect. But then you might as well click on their skills page because they might not even have the innate armor at all.
Huh.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ongewitter wrote:
The point of seeing what class someone is, is supposed to be that you can tell what armor to expect. But then you might as well click on their skills page because they might not even have the innate armor at all.

Or they might be wearing mundane armor which soaks what you're hitting with, so you have to check their descriptions anyway if armor is what you're worried about.

I just don't see why there's any need to clutter up the page more with the class. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ongewitter wrote:
Kylinn wrote:

Feature already exists: Sense Morality.

Except that Sense MO costs CP to buy. And it doesn't give class, just Morality - which, what with Fallen and Redeemed, Mortals and Nexals, isn't really helpful at all for knowing what kind of class someone might be anyway.
Ongewitter
Wikinator
Wikinator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit, we weren't talking about a skill.
Oh man. *silently walks out*
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sense MO, profile link and friend/enemy colouring is insufficient?

Skull Face
Repinuj
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea isn't strictly to make it easier to prioritize targets. As was said, you wouldn't know what armor the target is wearing without checking the profile, and there would be no way to put it on the main page.

But again, this is something everyone starts out with. As a mortal, if you see someone's name, you know they're mortal. Otherwise you see what class / species they are. So it's partly returning that feature, which I for one miss after tiering up.

It's partly flavor, in that you should be able to tell a person's general appearance without getting out your bingo book and researching their name.

It's partly simple usability, providing a visual cue to differentiate people. If you're searching for a Shepherd you know, you can 'zero in' on the Shepherds and make finding them simpler. And yes, you can also find those pesky Defilers with their potential Defiler's Poison, or maybe that lone Myrmidon who can see you if you hide on raid defense.

Obviously, the size of the icons means they have to be distinct. That's why I figure color should be a big part of it. It'd make it easier to remember icons, since they'd be grouped by color. You see a reddish color scheme, that's part of the demonic folk. You see a bluish glow, that's an angel.

I've made some quick and dirty icons from the class portraits on Nexus War Wiki, plus one ying-yang symbol. As an example more than anything else. Not sure if there would be any legal issues in using the NW images, but if they're usable some at least could be easily converted. Some don't work that well minimized, especially the Shepherd and Wizard ones. On the other hand, Paladin and Void Walker came out nicely.

The originals (except the ying-yang) are on Nexus War Wiki. They'd just been colorized and scaled down in GIMP.

And here are a couple rough examples of how the interface could look. The first is with the new icons pasted on top of the Alignment icon, to save on editing, just to give an idea of how they'd help in telling people apart. Icons are assigned randomly, lest someone get mad at me.

The second example is with a few names with the icons inserted properly, to show how much space they would take up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If I feel inspired, I may fiddle with the icons more. Maybe make more, or even more original ones.

EDIT: So, I guess I've got too much free time....

Did the icons, all proper and color-coded. Also made new healthbar, magicbar, and morality icons, just for kicks. Maybe someone'll make a Greasemokey script out of this if it's not promoted....

All the icons are in a zip file. I don't feel like uploading and linking them all separately. Here's a composite:

EDIT 2: Improved the Magic icons.

EDIT 3: Reuploaded to Mediafire, since old link died

EDIT 4: 04/12/2012: Uploaded v3 to Wikisend. Will be active for 90 days.

Download Icons

Last edited by Repinuj on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Excel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to lie, that looks really, REALLY nice.
SuperflyTNT
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these too. Very nice work.

Recommending that the symbol for mortal class be a very small tombstone.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be in the b5 interface. If you have a custom avatar, it'll display instead. It looks super cool on devserver.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: