Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Badge Grinds- Level Up
Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 pm Post subject: Badge Grinds- Level Up
Instead of instantly granting CP, I think a way to make badge grinds more interesting/less of a power spike is to make them require XP to "level up" past the max and gain additional CP. Each badge would unlock its CP bonus after earning an additional 1000 XP (or 1500 XP for 15 CP badges) after you've maxxed out- maybe a UI element could be added to show progress on which badge is currently "in-progress", which aren't, and which have been completed. The bonus to this is that it extends the "leveling up" experience further into the late game, allows you to slowly ramp up your power, but also doesn't instantly reward veteran players just because of what they did in previous breaths, though breath stats would still be important.
Joined: Jan 19, 2010 Posts: 2260 Location: Charlotte's Bakery University
Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:58 pm Post subject:
I really really like this. The exact numbers are debatable, but it's a really cool concept that hits multiple admirable design points in one shot:
* It answers (at least for a while) the question of what one does with post-maxout XP: spend it earning more levels, if badge conditions are met.
* It extends the progression longevity of some characters. How long is debatable, but we could keep ramping up the XP to level curve for these unlockable levels.
* It provides useful information. You can eyeball a level 22 character and a level 28 character and immediately discern a power difference between them, but 30 could mean a lot of things right now- potentially a gulf hundreds of CP wide. Knowing that that character is level 34 (for instance) gives you more immediately obvious information than fishing through their stats, doing the math, and finding that they have 120 extra CP of badges.
* It solves the issue of veterans getting a sudden huge power spike (potentially from long ago actions) all at once by making them go out and earn those post-cap levels gradually.
* It provides a technically feasible (since...I don't know how we'd do the currently proposed thing) means for the dev goal of diminishing returns in badge rewards. We could have early post-maxout levels require only a few badges and gradually ramp up the number of badges needed for later levels.
* It still provides CP for peoples' character progression. Note that for simplicity's sake post-maxout levels would probably be better to not keep increasing AP, HP and MP caps like pre-maxout levels.
Every level above 30 gives a character some amount of Badge Points, which can then be spent to "activate" one of character's Achievement Badges to receive its CP reward, similar to how the Skill purchase page works.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum