Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Class Concept - The Dragon Keeper
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class Concept - The Dragon Keeper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrusaderDroid
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Class Concept - The Dragon Keeper Reply with quote

This is a fantasy game without dragons.

Unacceptable.

The Dragon Keeper is an attempt to capture the sheer power of dragons. I've tried to load it with a ton of really fun options to allow players to express themselves in a variety of ways and tailor their particular approach to what they want. The various upgrades to the Dragon in particular eat up 150 CP, so for the most part a Dragon Keeper has to pick and choose a role to specialize in until they grind more badges.

I could have included more pets, but I wanted to put as much power into the Dragon as possible. I'm aware that only having one pet might be something of a disadvantage compared to other petmasters, and tried to include as much as I could to tilt the scales in favor of the Dragon. Besides, you're here to control an awesome Dragon, not a bunch of baby dragons that can't even grant you flight.

Without further ado:

Dragon Keeper

A Sorcerer that has tapped into the ancient lore and managed to form a bond with a powerful creature - a dragon of legend. The Dragon Keeper fights as one alongside their dragon ally.

Both the Dragon Keeper and their companion are too proud to accept any bindings on their actions, and will only join Unaligned factions.

(The child skills from Age and Wisdom are all mutually exclusive.)

Call Dragon: For 1 AP and 30 MP, call a Dragon. (Free)
--Age and Wisdom: Your Dragon gains +50 HP, +25 MP and AP, +3 damage, and +10% attack and defense.
----Red Hellkite: You now summon a Red Hellkite.
----White Frostwyrm: You now summon a White Frostwyrm.
----Green Swampdrake: You now summon a Green Swampdrake.
----Blue Stormviper: You now summon a Blue Stormviper.
----Black Skullclaimer: You now summon a Black Skullclaimer.
----Gray Stonekeep: You now summon a Gray Stonekeep.
Destructive Breath: Toggle to cause your Dragon’s normal attack on pet ticks to become an AoE, with a maximum damage equal to 10 times its normal damage. Each such attack costs 10 MP from your Dragon. Your Dragon will stop using this attack if it can’t pay the MP cost. (It doesn’t counter with AoE.)
--Ruinous Breath: Increases the maximum damage to 20 times its normal damage.
--Obliterate: The Dragon deals double damage when using its AoE attack.
Bond of Two Souls: When respawning, automatically summon your Dragon for free.
Persistent Soul: Counterattacks from your Dragon no longer cost MP. Your Dragon doesn’t despawn upon running out of MP.
Snack Time: Your Dragon restores 10 HP and MP on a kill and refunds the AP it used to make the attack.
Harness Its Power: Your spells that match your Dragon’s damage type deal +3 damage.
--Return The Favor: Your Dragon gains your spell familiarity bonuses for its matching attacks.
--Merger of Scales: For 1 AP and 15 MP, shift into a half-dragon form for 25 ticks. You gain +4 soak, +30 maximum health, the ability to lift heavy objects, +10% to hit with heavy weapons and items, and an innate hand-to-hand weapon, Dragon Claws, that deals 9 Slashing damage with a +10% chance to hit. Dragon Claws’s damage type can be changed to a damage type that matches a memorized spell, and it gains spell familiarity bonus when doing so. (If this ends while you are at or below 30 health, you die.)
Dragon Rider: While your Dragon is alive, you can activate flight.
Frightful Beast: Your Dragon imposes an aura upon the area for 30 seconds, refreshing every pet tick. Nonfactionmates in the aura lose -2 damage.
--Everybody Panic: When your Dragon makes a kill, it roars and affects all nonfactionmates with Panicked for 10 status ticks. Panicked enemies lose -2 soak. Multiple applications stack and refresh the duration.

---

Dragon
HP: 100 (150)
MP: 50 (75)
AP: 70 (95)
Attack: 60% (70%)
Defense: 0% (10%)
Damage: 10 Slashing/8 Piercing (13 Slashing/11 Piercing)
The Dragon, and its various kin, does not suffer pet decay. Only one Dragon or Dragon upgrade can be summoned. The Dragon is particularly resilient to the Corruptor’s Touches, and takes 25% of its maximum health in damage instead of being dismissed or stolen. (Parentheses are with Age and Wisdom.)

Red Hellkite
HP: 150
MP: 90
AP: 100
Attack: 75%
Defense: 15%
Damage: 15 Fire/13 Slashing
Red Hellkites are immune to fire. They have a burning aura that deals 6 fire damage to attackers.

White Frostwyrm
HP: 175
MP: 80
Attack: 70%
Defense: 20%
Damage: 15 Cold/13 Slashing
White Frostwyrms are immune to cold. They regenerate 2 HP every pet tick.

Green Swampdrake
MP: 75
AP: 130
Defense: 10%
Damage: 15 Acid/13 Slashing
Green Swampdrakes are immune to acid. Their attacks inflict Swampfire for 3 status ticks, decreasing soak by -2.

Blue Stormviper
MP: 80
Attack: 85%
Damage: 15 Electric/13 Slashing
Blue Stormvipers are immune to electric. Their attacks inflict Shocked for 3 status ticks, decreasing attack and defense by -10%.

Black Skullclaimer
AP: 120
Defense: 20%
Damage: 15 Death/13 Slashing
Black Skullclaimers are immune to death. Their attacks heal themselves for half the damage dealt, and heal the Dragon Keeper for the other half.

Gray Stonekeep
HP: 200
AP: 120
Damage: 15 Impact/13 Slashing
Gray Stonekeeps are immune to impact. When you damage a ward or fortification, the Gray Stonekeep attacks it as well.

---

Your comments are welcome.[/b]
Nayru
Highly Aloof Goddess
Highly Aloof Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so say.. 1 ap 30 mp for the eh.. electric let's say, 150 hp 80 mp 100 ap 85 acc 10 def 20 electric/13 (atm) slashing ultrapet, dealing out eight 40/800 85 acc aoes over the course of 80 sec (can go impact for -1 aoe/rejuv -15 acc but 40 impact that can't be affinity'd/chont armored, i guess), likely nigh-wiping any fort in about a minute, and then that's most of the class (though suppose all you really need is that + a slow apless attack that beats the offensive stats of 80+% of chars in-game with enhanced senses question mark)

and then somehow, the fire durgon has a weaker fire aura than a phoenix

think would mostly see electric (stat performance) when active and impact when not (destroys non-seraphs if bringing less than riot armor + triple invul)

s'that about right, or have i missed something (seemed like based on how was written stat upgrade only applies to regular one for example, though that also makes it a rather minor upgrade for what is presumably 90 cp, sans electric anyway)

i've seen some singlepet class suggestions in my time but aside from force-targeting specific characters, they weren't quite like that heh
CrusaderDroid
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, if AoE damage is the biggest complaint, then I'm in good shape. I can increase the cost to 15 or 20 MP as well as add extra AP so it matches up with other player AoEs, I can reduce the target count to something like 3-5 people, I can rework or delete Obliterate, I could say Return The Favor only works for regular attacks and not AoE...There's a bunch of ways to fix it. That's not too bad.

Fair enough on the upgrades feeling weak for 90 CP though. I factored in Age and Wisdom into the upgrades, but that probably makes it feel worse. I probably should bump it down to 60 CP and still keep them all mutually exclusive. I'll need to take some time later to write up stats accordingly.

The Phoenix doesn't exist in the game currently, so until it's introduced again, the Fire dragon, by virtue of hypothetically existing, has a better aura. Reasonable enough though - I was cautious about it being too good. Maybe bump it to 10?

I can kinda tinker with the stats, I guess, if they're that big a sticking point. I'm mostly concerned about landing the core idea - it's easier to play around with numbers than it is to get something interesting.

Hope there's enough flavor in the class to make it stand out, though.
Nayru
Highly Aloof Goddess
Highly Aloof Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically 'a' phoenix exists in-game, and it's likely to keep that attribute going forward i'd imagine 'cause phornix

the thing is though, your 1 ap 30 mp is durgon's (MUCH AP/MP), so it always is a case of translating few resources on your end to an extreme quantity of resources on durgon's end

which it can do omeganuke aoes with repeatedly

theoretically even if one curr aoe used up the pet entirely it'd still punt the other aoes all the way to saturn, so that's a pretty big bit and pet ap/mp and player ap/mp just do not mesh and it would have to be hard-limited in some other respect that isn't 'my pet does better than what days of 96ap/96mp petwalling does vs large facs and was one non-restricted titan summon's worth of ap/mp'

not sure what kind of tier of aoe power one would have to go with channeled through the hyper-efficient medium of a pet, but was never really figured out how good aoe could be

but at least the other hyper-efficient ones (hc 1 ap --> 4 ap aoe) had a much more direct impact on your resources, via pet is effectively /10s unlimited since can rejuv ver much
CrusaderDroid
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Still workable - I can change it so it takes AP/MP from both you and your pet so it's not doing it every 10 seconds. That way it's still an ability and maintains parity with other class AoEs, and I can keep some of its current power.

Is the fantasy of the class okay though? Like, the AoE thing is comparatively minor - I was aiming for something people will like in theme and in overall mechanics. I want to know if I'm hitting that mark. I can fix a mechanic here and there and I can fix numbers, but I can't fix something people just don't like.
Nayru
Highly Aloof Goddess
Highly Aloof Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, superpet classes is something people've posited at least a few times before

prol something to broach with people in general anyway though, 'cause who knows with weird new stuff

probably want more mechanics in it than 'have pet, have superpet, can aoe, can aoe more, also get some buffs yo' though
CrusaderDroid
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I'll take another spin on it later today to see if I can diversify what it does. Thank you for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestion Drafts All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: