Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Suggestion Megathread: Tanks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion Megathread: Tanks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Suggestion Megathread: Tanks Reply with quote

Greetings
Table of Contents wrote:
  • Intro
  • Method of suggesting
  • Formatting
  • Outro
Intro

With alpha testing of Tier 2 classes underway, the dev team has set its sights on the next role, Tanks. This thread is designed to collect input from you. Please keep all discussions civil, arguing about your suggestion or putting down another players suggestion will not effect the chances of it appearing in B4.

Method of Suggesting

Not sure how to format your thoughts? Consider the following questions:
  • What do you like about this class? Do you want this to be kept, or changed for B4?
  • What do you dislike about this class? Do you want this to be remove, or changed for B4?
  • What do you think this class missing? How would you like to see to see it implemented in B4?
Please avoid using numbers when discussing balancing skills, as damage and soak values are going to changes between B3.5 and B4. Instead, use vague amounts, such as less, more, a lot, or a little.

Formatting

For our sanity, please label your thoughts in the following method:

Tanks in general [bold]
Seraphs [bold and blue]
Eternal Soldiers [bold and green]
Infernal Behemoths [bold and red]

Example: The ES should have an aura. Auras are a strong way of dealing with pets, and the other tanks performed well with an aura of their own. I felt the ES was weaker than other classes that can tank because of it.

Outro

You are free to discuss the interaction between tank classes/roles with other classes/roles, but discussions that go way off topic will be removed without warning. This is meant to be a source for us devs, and we don't want to muddle through pages and pages of discussions that don't pertain to tanks.

Thank you
hellowhatsgoingon
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't seem to be a very popular thread Sad
not a suggestion atm, just a query

What's the design philosophy behind them?

I get that the Tank role has two primary functions (ie 1.Stay alive, 2.Deal with pets/petmasters) but it looks like the initial build concept for earlier breaths focused on them all being fairly similar, with survivability depending on (specializing in) total HP (IB) vs soak (Seraph) vs Dodge (ES).

Obviously at this stage of the game, auras have since become the primary factor that determines the effectiveness of a tank, and the nerf to dodge enchants back in B3 combined with the lack of an aura (and expensive CP cost of skills) has crippled the ES in its 'specialization' for the tank role. I have a vague recollection that ESes in earlier B3 were actually extremely effective at their role, back when they could roll with obscene levels of dodge, and use DBses and WoF to geek petmasters through forts, but that's neither here nor there

Granted, this is a gross oversimplification, and I get that there are other factors in play as well (seraphs with slightly higher versatility and a better aura, IBs being able to self heal with Blood Taste/Adrenal healing as well as getting destructive blow, etc etc) but fundamentally speaking, it doesn't really seem like adding an aura to ESes will really give much diversity between the three tank classes overall.

(this isn't really a criticism so much as legit curiosity)
Only asking because (for comparison) it seems like all of the other roles have tremendous diversity in how they accomplish what they do. (Tacticians, Petmasters, Warmages, etc) To use Petmasters as an example: all have the same role/function (ie bring the pain, stay alive) but do it fairly different ways. (Self sustaining ghouls vs heavy hitting judgemasters vs nether hounds; aethersprites vs wights that drain / simulacrum vs interpose thrall / acid blood) Again, gross oversimplification, and obv they don't all accomplish what they need to do with equal effectiveness, but they def do it in different ways

Are you guys shooting for the same sort of diversity in the tank role as well?
Saint_Jimmy
Totally a real Doctor
Totally a real Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when designing classes, we aim to have core skills, which are fairly similar between the different classes, and flavour which won't necessarily have a counterparts.

To take the Paladin/Myrmidon as examples, they both should do about the same damage once they have bought their damage skills, however the damage skills work in different ways (Combination attack vs bolster attack, critical hit vs elite attack).

They then have flavour skills which are totally different to each other - Paladin can negate the next attack that does over 10 damage, Myrmidon can ignore the weight of armour.

We'll be following a similar route with tanks. They'll all do the same job via different routes - high HP/Soak/Miss chance, and they will all have an aura because that's needed to do their job of "Go clear pets". (Unless we bring back the DBS the ES can't tank anywhere near as well as the other tanks. Yes, this means that they're more similar, but I suspect we'll be able to differentiate the auras.)

But outside the core skills, there should be plenty of skills that do something unique that the other classes don't get. Whether that is "Oh hey I have a ranged aura" or "Oh hey I heal for a ton" will depend on the class, of course.

TL;DR - They'll have some skills that do the same thing in different ways and then more skills that are unique to help differentiate them.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only gripe with tanks is that the angels get the upperhand with auras (ranged and mellee) were as Demons only get mellee auras.

My sugestion would be for a toggle button for any passive aura (class specific skill) to be able to toggle between ranged or Mellee defence, but this is only a suggestion for Tank auras.

Is the Eternal Soldier classed as a tank? As this would be a great aura type for them, if you are opposed to making such a skill effect generic to all tanks.

Just a few thoughts.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would do the tank and the Pet master development at the same time, for three reasons.

*1, they are intrinsically connected, Pets v tank.
*2, Having no more immunities means the interaction between Pets V Tanks has also changed.
*3, How do you propose to balance / know if an aura is needed / will work, without first knowing how the NEW pet mechanic will work? I feel these two things go hand in hand, overall it would save backtracking and Development time.

For example, Let us hypothetically say a lich's Wight in B4 causes Twitchy status when it hits 50% hp, Would this not be an ample time to possibly add a new skill to say, oh I don't know, the ES. With a skill that rinses pet applied debuffs and status effects.

In my opinion it would give the depth of skills, balance and a deeper set of "Unique Tank Skills", as well as making the Pets more than just HP bags with varying damage types. An issue with pets at the moment is, those with an Unique skill are too "Meta" or don't do enough, and are few and far between. Ghoul is too "Meta", Will-o-Wisp rarely proc's its ability "Not Meta" or balanced, as examples of this.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: