Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Halve travel costs in sewers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halve travel costs in sewers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Halve travel costs in sewers Reply with quote

In effort to encourage more use of sewers, make sewer tiles only use up 0,5 ap per tile travelled. This would make them more appealing for travelling, and encourage their use.

Reasons: Aside from 2 things, they are currently kinda redundant. If you are hunting, you can cover more tiles above ground (especially with travel skills). If you are moving from A to B, you're wasting time using the portals, and must travel in pretty ineffective straight lines. IF you're hiding to regen your ap... Well, at most you'll just dodge in there, making them kinda the same as stepping inside a house - you'll still be using just a small part of them.
(That's from Dracula, by Stoker.)
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the winding paths, and the fact that the ferry only takes 1AP to go anywhere kinda makes it pointless to use the sewer, even at half AP.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to less of a Movement cost. I hunt down there a fair bit and hide out there. But the deeper you go the emptier it becomes. I think Tomppa's suggestion is a simple and effective idea.
Lychwood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing somewhere (can't be bothered to dredge it up) that part of the idea in designing the sewers was to create a sort of no-man's-land where people rarely went. It would be a decent place to hide, due to the low traffic. It would also, however, be difficult to navigate and easy to hunt, so that it was a bit of a gamble any time you ventured in for shelter.

If that's the goal, I think the current sewers are doing a great job. They aren't populated because there's no reason to go down there. No reason, except to hide.

But then, strongholds being what they are, how many of us are actually living feral?
Nook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a smaller AP movement cost of sewer tiles.

-addition to the suggestion

:normal movement cost or 'water tile' cost over the flooded parts.
(not sure if they're actually water tiles)
Xirvi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nook wrote:
:normal movement cost or 'water tile' cost over the flooded parts.
(not sure if they're actually water tiles)

They're not. If you're inside a tile, whether it's a water tile or not sadly makes no difference for the sake of movement.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lychwood wrote:
I remember hearing somewhere (can't be bothered to dredge it up) that part of the idea in designing the sewers was to create a sort of no-man's-land where people rarely went. It would be a decent place to hide, due to the low traffic. It would also, however, be difficult to navigate and easy to hunt, so that it was a bit of a gamble any time you ventured in for shelter.
Agreed, this seems like the explicit purpose of the sewers. It's a place for ferals (or just folks who respawned unexpectedly far from a SH) to duck in and hide. It gets you away from corner-stepping VWs and from giving away your position by way of shadows in the window. The latter is particularly helpful if you don't have any +hide% skills. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of just staying on the ladder tile when I'm APing out.

And the sewers being a low-traffic nuisance to navigate also makes it easier to stage prior to raiding the Adamant Kinship pseudo-stronghold, which is important for keeping ferals feral.

If you're concerned about available space not being used enough, I'd suggest focusing on Paradise and Stygia. The latter in particular is pretty much desolate.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerlintheTuna wrote:
If you're concerned about available space not being used enough, I'd suggest focusing on Paradise and Stygia. The latter in particular is pretty much desolate.

Agreed, I have been able to ferals alive in Stygia for weeks at a time.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically impossible in 3.5. Passibility code only works in outside locations, not moving around inside of large buildings. Arrow

Last edited by Teksura on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Technically impossible in 3.5. Passibility code only works in outside locations, not moving around inside of large buildings.

I don't follow. Movement costs inside large building are already halved for things like Ether Stepping. So couldn't the code in 3.5 be relatively easily changed (he says with a chuckle, not having seen the code) to apply half-movement to everyone when they're in a sewer?
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:
Teksura wrote:
Technically impossible in 3.5. Passibility code only works in outside locations, not moving around inside of large buildings.

I don't follow. Movement costs inside large building are already halved for things like Ether Stepping. So couldn't the code in 3.5 be relatively easily changed (he says with a chuckle, not having seen the code) to apply half-movement to everyone when they're in a sewer?

Stepping and Feet of the Wind just half all movement from base everywhere, the problem here is (I believe) that interiors cannot have base AP costs that are not 1.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikanchion wrote:
saulres wrote:
Teksura wrote:

Stepping and Feet of the Wind just half all movement from base everywhere, the problem here is (I believe) that interiors cannot have base AP costs that are not 1.

Yeah, but what I mean is, there's probably code when moving that says something like:

movementCost = 1
if (((character has Ether Stepping) and (characterLastMoveCost =1)) OR
((character has FettOfTheWind) and (characterLastMoveCost=1))) then
{movement cost = 0; characterLastMoveCost =0}
AP = AP - movementCost

So they could put in an
if (character in Sewers)
clause and mostly be done.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:
Teksura wrote:

The mapmaking tools for tile types contain a few passability options (normal, impassible, water, slow mountains, void, a few other more exotic ones). In BobCode, the presence of large building interiors overrides all that and makes everything passable have a movement cost of one.

It's not that it's not doable, but it'd involve going outside the passability rules that define how the rest of the game measures passability and creating a new framework for it.

In any case, Lychwood has it - the Sewers are meant to be a hinterland of the map, sometimes visited but rarely inhabited, and there are a few related mechanics (The Olympic Tower back door, the Hashaa shrine) that are designed to rely on that. The map needs some high-density areas and some low-density areas, and the Sewers are the latter by design.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: