Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [QoL?]: Renumber tiles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[QoL?]: Renumber tiles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: [QoL?]: Renumber tiles Reply with quote

I finally figured out why I keep getting lost while I'm looking for coordinates. You'd think I would have figured it out long ago, but no.

The tiles are numbered such that 0,0 is in the upper left corner.

I come (long, LONG ago) from a math background. I've always thought of the map as a graph, with each space's coordinates being represented by their (x,y) coordinates, so I think of 0,0 as being in the bottom left corner.

At the risk of throwing off people used to the current system, I think the bottom is more intuitive when watching numbers go by, and suggest renumbering the map spaces appropriately.
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this has always annoyed me, sometimes when I'm a single tile away from my target co-ords it can still take me 6 AP to get there due to not remembering how the co-ordinate system works in this >.>
rzmricingz
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are very pleased to have come into the web of it.
Shuikkanen
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I come (long, LONG ago) from a math background. I've always thought of the map as a graph, with each space's coordinates being represented by their (x,y) coordinates, so I think of 0,0 as being in the bottom left corner.

But... but I have part-math background and I've always thought of the map ordered the same way as a matrix and its indices...

Not that I ever remember which way a matrix is ordered.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember matrixes sadly. But I do remember graphs with (0,0) as the origin. Positive numbers went to the right on the x-axis and up on the y-axis, and negatives went to the left on the x and down on the y.

That's why I associate moving north with an increase in numbers.
Aidan
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting tidbits to learn from these two links: Link1 Link2

I will quote some of the parts that I feel best address the suggestion at hand and the apparent disjunct between mathematics and programming.

Quote:
This is caused in the history. Early computers had Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) which "draw" the image with a cathode ray from the upper left corner to the lower right.

To ease the interface between the graphics card memory and the CRT the memory was read from the beginning and the image was drawn from the top left (with the lowest memory address) to the lower right (with the highest memory address).

Quote:
I originally made the world coordinates in my game match the 2D screen coordinate convention. This made it very natural to use the graphics drawing routines, but subtle issues arose when using trigonometric functions like atan2(). The results of feeding atan2() 2D screen coordinates are very confusing because atan2() assumes the positive y axis points up.

------

Anyway, while this is interesting and all, the intricacies of 2D programming have little application in the game at hand, which is trivially programmable to display coordinates ALA Cartesian system (even if the inner code still uses the 2D screen system).

I am personally in favor of the current system that treats the map, well, like a map or book written in English. X is the word identifier while Y is the line identifier.

The question here is really whether more people think of the map as a graph or a book, and I suppose a poll wouldn't really be amiss in a suggestion like this.
Quixotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are thinking about this too much. No need to try and figure out what system people are more accustomed to, just make it more obvious/easier to remember what system they are in. Wink

SUGGESTION:

If it can not be implemented in the game, please someone make a GM script to have this, should not be too hard. (Please Greasemonky-savvy guys don't let AuXAuV do all the work there. ^.^;; )

PS: yes my char is currently idling out on this tile, feel free to go and have at her. x)

Last edited by Quixotic on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
zombiedachshund
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get confused by the map, maybe because it uses the same system as a spreadsheet, something I use almost every day.
UsernamePending
Custom Title
Custom Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quixotic wrote:

Ha, get rekt! You got killed by a <lv6 mortal scrub! ...Me.
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW IS 42 KILLS AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWOOOO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: IS ONLY AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW DO YOU GET AN S ON LEBLANC
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: