Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Nexus Clash :: View topic - Stop Defiler Poison remaining after death
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop Defiler Poison remaining after death

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exodus
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Stop Defiler Poison remaining after death Reply with quote

This is the second time now in the past two weeks that I've had one of my tier 2 guys poisoned by defiler poison. My first guy died 3 or 4 times before being able to get to a hospital and get a first aid kit to heal himself. That was days of wasted playing. Not fun.

It just happened again. My paladin just respawned in Elysium and is dead again. If it takes me days again to get this poison cured I will not be happy. I almost ragequit after my first experience.

A tier 3, with movement abilities and a high HP pool I can see remaining after death. But my still squishy level 10 and 11 are very frustrating, to see them die again and again from it.

My proposal is to not make defiler poison persist after death. Death should be a clean wipe, a fresh start.
Shadok
Edge of Insanity
Edge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind it lingering is to cause greater grief to those the defiler inflicts the poison upon. What you're proposing is taking a step back, giving defilers a big nerf and sticking them back in their weakened breath 1 state. As someone who played back then, lemme tell you something: Defilers didn't use the poison. Ever. Why bother? You eat up your poison and for f**king what? Some dude who'll die before the poison does anything? People don't use normal poison at all (except via the poison enchantment) and this is why.

I'm not willing, personally, to back such a nerf, but this part brings merit:

Exodus wrote:
A tier 3, with movement abilities and a high HP pool I can see remaining after death.

I could see bumping the current defiler-linger (aka: Perma-until-removed) effect to tier 3 and either removing or nerfing the current linger for the tier two classes. I believe the current burn is 3HP per tick? That'd make it so that first death: Defiler poison drops to 2HP burn. Second death: Defiler is replaced by vanilla poison. Third death: Gone.

Also moved this to my suggestion discussion, since this looks to be a suggestion not a discussion of rules.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Exodus
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying, and I was going back and forth with my proposal from not lingering after death vs only lingering for T3 classes. Ultimately, I do believe that death should be a clean wipe.

A reduction would be an agreeable compromise. If you can't get a heal, at least next time one would have a better chance of surviving.

I suppose for me, I simply lump Defiler poison with a few other abilities that seem to be "grief" type abilities.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of my characters who care about dying, and even Kenny who doesn't want to die to poison but would rather give the XP to players instead of the void, I carry around at least one FAK/Stygian Bone Leech, and replace it after it needs to be used.

Yes it eats up inventory. It's worth it to me to save the time.
Shadok
Edge of Insanity
Edge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What evil jerks poison Kenny? That's just plain stupid.

That said, I don't see any reason why it fading away couldn't be added to T3 as well. Yes, poison is griefy, it's made to be so (it's meant to discourage active defence. You poison the person then they cannot fight you as effectively since their blood burns with poison). But I'll concede that having it linger forever and ever until cured is a little much. Personally I've just gotten into the habit of having cures at all times (all my characters either have a FAK/Leech/Herb at all times, a healing skill or the ability so summon sprites) so it never occurred to me how painful being afflicted could be for those who're not ready.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
SocialJusticeWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered being ready as part of the game. I mean, a FAK or the equivalent is two points of inventory space. Yeah, maybe it's an annoyance for someone who's absolutely new to the game, but that's why it doesn't persist after death for mortals. I'd think that an absolute newbie would've learned enough about the game by the time he hits T2 and manages to get defiler poisoned.

For anyone else, if you get defiler poisoned and are caught out without a means of getting rid of it, too bad for you. You knew that threat existed and you didn't take the tiny step necessary to prepare for it.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:
What evil jerks poison Kenny?

This kind I guess.

Quote:
- the Wasp Empress attacked you with a Kick and hit for 2 points of impact damage. This attack was laced with virulent, burning poison!
Annathema
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:
What evil jerks poison Kenny?

BZZZZZ

It's pretty in-character for an evil wasp! (And the bonus XP doesn't hurt)

And to be fair, I figured Kenny would have no problem getting rid of it, haunting a hospital and all.
SocialJusticeWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way, it's extra XP for that one poor sap who bought Absolve Suffering.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to give a perspective as a new player. The things I have found that put a lot of my friends who usually love this style of text driven game, off it.

The mortal Levels.

They start quite sluggishly especially when you are the squishiest thing on the map. The 100ap you give at the start of character creation is perfect in my opinion for hard core and casual players.

Even if this was added as skills or just level ups (free skills) Like when you take second tier class gain 25ap ect.

This also could be counted by making the maps a little smaller. When I get to play once or twice a day it frustrates me that out of the 50ap I have its usually 3ap to re-spawn then another 20ap just to get back to where I was heading. Thus leaving me with less than 50% of my starting ap total to do what with? Not much really. That can be a big put off for a lot of players.

Die, respawn, walk, search, read a few books and die..... rinse repeat. After a few days of this, most will quit. The friends I started with did. I'm stubborn and patient so I don't mind the slow grind. But it is VERY slow at around 50ap a day.

Not being able to trade between my own characters.... WHY?
The Zerg state I now understand, but again.... why? Why can't my chars work together? This also eliminates a little from the RP side of the game I feel which would keep a solo grinder like myself playing a long time.

Perhaps introduce quest maps, ect instead of the player rinse repeating healing, repairing, crafting or killing for xp. Quests in games like these shouldn't be hard to do code wise and lets the player achieve other goals other than xp, like story. Man this game has some epic lore to draw from, the quests would practically write themselves.

Edit note: a respect system would be nice, not infinite (that could be abused) but it would save noobs like me from making a char, screwing the build then looking at how long it took me to get this char, think about starting again and deciding not to.... you get my point?

I want to see what its like to play a level 30 character, the game rules and class development looks spot on.

Just my opinions as a noob.
SocialJusticeWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll refrain from responding further, but:
RaelCleap wrote:
This also could be counted by making the maps a little smaller. When I get to play once or twice a day it frustrates me that out of the 50ap I have its usually 3ap to re-spawn then another 20ap just to get back to where I was heading. Thus leaving me with less than 50% of my starting ap total to do what with? Not much really. That can be a big put off for a lot of players.

This is something that breath 3.5 (which is starting fairly soon) will address. There's going to be less space overall, which should lead to more concentrated action.
Xirvi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for b3.5 Valhalla, which I made, but the layout as well as the transportation system (1 AP to any of the other travel terminals, which are evenly distributed throughout the map) makes the map feel considerably smaller and easier to navigate in compared to b3.

The map only has about 200 fewer land tiles than b3 Valhalla owing to much fewer water tiles on the map (the map is 40x40 vs. b3's 50x50), but it just *feels* smaller due to its design. So here's hoping the changes we've made address this problem well. I definitely think the game needs much smaller maps across the board.
Lychwood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaelCleap, I would recommend sharing that post over in this thread. We've had a few semi-fresh perspectives, but your input could be very helpful. It's also a bit more relevant of a thread to your post than this one, which is more about the defiler poison mechanic.
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please, please have some maximum duration for things such as defiler poison, one of my T2 characters has not gained any experience at all in 48 hours due to being unable to find healing. (this hasn't been helped by having spawned on the far east side of windfall ridge multiple times, but still it has been a serious problem for this character, standing about in hospitals which used to work well for this sort of thing hasn't proven fruitful yet)

Being effectively locked out of the game for multiple days is ridiculous for the effects of a single T2 skill, even if it does happen rarely.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: