Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - player numbers....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

player numbers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint_Jimmy
Totally a real Doctor
Totally a real Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove Caldera. Because fuck Caldera
Skritz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint_Jimmy wrote:
Remove Caldera. Because fuck Caldera

It was already a pain in the old nexus war.
pancakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like caldera, it is good for hunting and gives people a place to infuse. It would be much more fun if elementalists were a thing though.

<GK> I now have 3 puppies, and 3 kittens, thinking about eating them
dazed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the offplanes are a giant pain to spawn in for T2 characters or just in general when getting killed is a more efficient option sometimes than trying to get to some point B.

Maybe limiting spawns in non-Petra planes to areas near Petra portals would reduce the effective map size for most players while making the non-spawn backwaters places high risk/reward type of places. Of course this would work better if there were unique map tiles in those areas with higher rates of resource or lore finds rather than just high level explorer/hunter type of areas. Or maybe this is a principle that could be used in other breaths so the big map is there but it's not spreading out the limited population so much?
pinecones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respawned my conduit in caldera and then sat around for 24 hours because there was no one around to kill me.
mintcandy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I feel the biggest issue with Nexus Clash player numbers is the high learning curve for new players.

The presence of Action Points forces players to budget their activity, which is something not intuitive to new players. Yes, new players get a lot of Action Points to start with, but they get thrown into the same world as a bunch of higher leveled characters controlled by players who know how to play the game.

In my mind, a better solution would be a new plane designed for new players and characters...a sandbox, if you will. The boundaries will be much, much smaller than Valhalla, so that new players don't have to waste AP in traveling to find things to kill. This new plane will also feature NPCs that are easier to kill (wild animals, maybe?), so that newbies don't have to depend on finding people to kill. Search rates should probably be dramatically increased on this new plane. This plane will also be accessible to Valhalla, in case new characters wish to interact with stronger characters, which also means that stronger characters can also go to this sandbox plane. Killed characters below level 5 will respawn on this sandbox plane.

Here's the most important part, though. Characters cease to gain experience on this new plane once they hit level 5. This is to prevent stronger characters from picking on the lowbies AND the easier NPCs. It is also to encourage players to move into the "real" Nexus Clash once they have gained enough experience and skills to make the game more enjoyable. Also, stats on this new plane are not recorded on a player's status screen, again, to prevent stronger characters from padding their stats by hanging out in a newbie zone.

What do you guys think?
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the Pit?

Quote:
Here's the most important part, though. Characters cease to gain experience on this new plane once they hit level 5. This is to prevent stronger characters from picking on the lowbies AND the easier NPCs.
You're assuming that an absence of any incentive to murder dozens of newbies would prevent people from murdering dozens of newbies.
Liches would just use the place as a ghoul/zombie breeding centre.
mintcandy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallich wrote:
You mean the Pit?

Quote:
Here's the most important part, though. Characters cease to gain experience on this new plane once they hit level 5. This is to prevent stronger characters from picking on the lowbies AND the easier NPCs.
You're assuming that an absence of any incentive to murder dozens of newbies would prevent people from murdering dozens of newbies.

Okay, maybe it would just be easier to make it so that the portal from the sandbox to Valhalla is one way only.

I have no idea what the Pit is. Is it accessible to new players currently? I didn't ever see it when I was a new player.
corky
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallich wrote:
You mean the Pit?

Quote:

And others would just use it to farm kills (speaking as someone with a new mortal, 18 deaths and over 50% of them have been by t3's, I was up to 10/12 t3 deaths before the logs stopped, with 6 of those being maxed and 2 by the same level 29 character, and none by mortals, the other 2 being t2's).

(With help)
Saint_Jimmy
Totally a real Doctor
Totally a real Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being killed by maxxed out characters always annoys me, especially if they don't emote or say anything.
karek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's likely more of a secondary issue losing out to the fact there there are invisible numbers for defense if you don't know the game, assuming it's anything like NW(I haven't been playing).

There's also the standard old school UD clone issue of it actually being harder for a lower level player to do stuff with their AP than a higher level one. In theory their general openness should allow for more play diversity but because of how expensive and inefficient everything starts out to do it just ends up being a general pain.

Lower damage rates at a higher to hit rate for starting values could potentially have an effect on this. Getting rid of the vague idea that seems to exist that killing things shouldn't be extremely easy might as well.

Another big one would be to stop random-dropping characters on respawn and just have them reappear in the same place, that way players and player groups can actually learn an area in the old fashioned way and aren't completely lost. That particular thing while in place for late game player difficulty scaling actually has a much more massive impact on new player experience and early game difficulty. If anything this would probably be the biggest thing worth taking the time to look at a redesign for the sake of newer players and hell, if you have flag shields still this is a potential balance they can serve to facilitate anyway.
mintcandy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallich wrote:
You mean the Pit?

Yeah, the Pit sounds like what I had in mind.

If I was completely new to games similar to Nexus Clash, something like the Pit would've been a much better learning experience than being thrown into Valhalla as a Level 1.

I have no idea why the Pit was eliminated.
mintcandy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky wrote:

And others would just use it to farm kills (speaking as someone with a new mortal, 18 deaths and over 50% of them have been by t3's, I was up to 10/12 t3 deaths before the logs stopped, with 6 of those being maxed and 2 by the same level 29 character, and none by mortals, the other 2 being t2's).

I proposed that stats achieved in this sandbox plane/Pit clone would NOT be recorded on a player's status screen, specifically to prevent the stat padding you mentioned.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintcandy wrote:
Mallich wrote:
You mean the Pit?

Yeah, the Pit sounds like what I had in mind.

If I was completely new to games similar to Nexus Clash, something like the Pit would've been a much better learning experience than being thrown into Valhalla as a Level 1.

I have no idea why the Pit was eliminated.

Two reasons:
1) It became too empty without lots of players spawning there, it proved to be a desolute waste land.
2) Quote the changelog

Quote:
Disabled level 1-2 characters spawning in the pit (rationale: the pit is small and ugly - visually, it's not an appealing place to start the game... this was offset when it was a target-rich environment but no more). They now spawn in Valhalla.

The pit was a good idea, but as the person who designed the map and tile layout of the pit, it might work better with a different elder power. Being Tholaghru's personal play area meant it was never going to be that pleasant.
mintcandy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:

Two reasons:
1) It became too empty without lots of players spawning there, it proved to be a desolute waste land.
2) Quote the changelog

The pit was a good idea, but as the person who designed the map and tile layout of the pit, it might work better with a different elder power. Being Tholaghru's personal play area meant it was never going to be that pleasant.

That makes sense that one of the reasons for eliminating the Pit was because it wasn't visually appealing to new players.

The idea I had for my sandbox plane was more arboreal in nature than what the Pit sounds like. Forests, mountains, with NPCs like bears, goblins, kobolds, etc. I suppose mixing in jungle and savannah themes wouldn't be inappropriate, like lions and gorillas.

I'm unfamiliar with the Nexus Clash pantheon, so it's hard for me to suggest a patron deity for this sandbox plane, if it even needs one to begin with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: