Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Gamma World: Suggestion Thread
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gamma World: Suggestion Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Gamma World: Suggestion Thread Reply with quote

So, an idea came up today. I think it might be interesting to take one of the most insane campaign settings I have ever seen, and present it to some of the most insane people I have ever known. That's you.

And so, I propose a Gamma World campaign to the Nexus community. If you're not familiar with Gamma World, here is how it presents itself:

Quote:
In the fall of 2012, scientists at the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, Switzerland, embarked on a new series of high-energy experiments. No one knows exactly what they were attempting to do, but a little after 3 P.M. on a Thursday afternoon came the Big Mistake. Something unexpected happened, and in the blink of an eye, many possible universes all condensed into a single reality.

In some of these universes, little had changed; it didn't make a big difference which team won the 2011 World Series, for example. In other universes, there were more important divergences: The Gray Emissary, who was carrying gifts of advanced technology, wasn't' shot down at Roswell in 1947, the Black Death didn't devastate the known world in the 14th century, the dinosaurs didn't die out, Nikolai Tesla did conquer the world with a robot army, and so on. The Cold War went nuclear in 83 percent of the possible universes, and in 3 percent of the possible universes, the French unloaded their entire nuclear arsenal on the town of Peshtigo, Wisconsin, because it had to be done. When reality stabilized again, an instant after the Big Mistake, the familiar Earth of the 21st century was replaced by one formed from many different realities.

The year is now 2162 (or 151, or 32,173, or Six Monkey Slap-Slap, depending on your point of view). It's been a hundred and fifty years since the Big Mistake, and the Earth is a very different place. The ruins of the Ancients (that's you and me) litter a landscape of radioactive deserts, mutated jungles, and vast, unexplored wildernesses. Strange new creatures, such as beetles the size of cars and super­ evolved badgers with Napoleonic complexes, roam the world. The survivors of humanity gather in primitive tribes or huddle in trade towns that rarely rise above the technology of the Dark Ages. Even the nature of humanity is now different, because generations of exposure to radiation, mutagens, and the debris of other realities have transformed humans into a race of mutants who have major physical alterations and potent mental abilities.

This is the world of the D&D GAMMA WORLD Roleplaying Game. It's a world of dangerous mutant monsters, jungle-grown ruins of the cities of the Ancients, and mysterious artifacts of awesome technology. It's your world to survive, to explore, and to conquer-if you're up to the challenge.

If you're interested, here are a few special rules we'd be using:

• I'll need to be the one making all the rolls. This is simply because it's easier, and our forum does not support the rolls.
  • I'd like to start with 2 characters, and raise that to 4 as we go along.
  • No single person will be in control of any given character. Instead, it is a collective group effort. As GM, I simply state what the situation is, and allow the thread to devolve into ideas about what to do. I may or may not wait for any agreement, and reserve the right to pick the first suggestion if I'm around when it comes up.
  • There will be 2 threads. This thread will serve as the discussion thread, and once we get some characters made I'll start up another thread for the adventure updates. Please don't post in the adventure thread.

Character creation in Gamma World is typically done randomly, but I'm being a little more forgiving. Normally, you roll 2d20 for your Primary and Secondary character origins. Take them as you go. I'm going to allow rolling 3d20, and simply asking which one do we drop. So in that spirit, lets make our 2 starter characters.

Character 1
  • Android
  • Electrokinetic
  • Giant

Character 2
  • Mind Breaker
  • Pyrokinetic
  • Yeti

I will NOT be looking up what they do until we've determined which ones we're using. Razz

So for both characters, lets drop 1 of those 2 origins. And as long as we're at it, lets name them.

Last edited by Teksura on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw it out there, an Electrokinetic Android sounds perfect. Anyone up for a malfunctioning robot that shoots sparks everywhere?
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Character 1, I'm seconding Teksura's idea. A broken android electrocuting whoever and whatever goes near it is damn well hilarious and you know it. And it ties in for my second character:

Pyrokinetic Yeti, character 2. I want a snowmonster which hurls fire. Lots of fire. Preferably with a little pyromania tossed in. He's lived in snow and now has discovered fire and loves it. Because fire is awesome. Nobody can disagree with this.

And the sparks which the android makes lights fires for the Yeti to control. We can work around the fact that Teksura'll probably dick us over and make it so that the pyrokinetic can't make fires or something.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a silly amount on stuff on roleplaying games but never gotten into them.

Setting does not seem as absurd as World Of Synnibar but I think a NW forum play of that was done.

Sure I would be up for being a big old rogue robot if you don't mind.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:
For Character 1, I'm seconding Teksura's idea. A broken android electrocuting whoever and whatever goes near it is damn well hilarious and you know it.

Sure. Name: Sparks

Shadok wrote:
Pyrokinetic Yeti, character 2. I want a snowmonster which hurls fire. Lots of fire. Preferably with a little pyromania tossed in. He's lived in snow and now has discovered fire and loves it. Because fire is awesome. Nobody can disagree with this.

This. A million times this. Name: Garglesnout Frostbane XVII

Sparks should be Garglesnouts robot manservant!
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:
Garglesnout Frostbane XVII

I don't think anyone will be able to top this name.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm working out the exact stats now, we have:

Garglesnout Frostbane XVII a Pyrokinetic Yeti and his manservant Sparks, the Electrokinetic Android.

I'll be back with their stats and abilities in a moment. Lets focus on what they look like and what they actually are. How humanoid does sparks look? What condition does he appear to be? Was he always a manservant unit?
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sparks is one android who's definitely anything but "humanoid". Scuttling along on four crab-like legs and with a defining hunch, he looks more like something which should be helping a mad scientist (or possibly the result of said scientist messing up). His left arm is small and withered, created largely by scrap metal thrown together with some wires. It resembles a claw, but only in the loosest sense of the word. His right arm, on the other hand (pun!), is state-of-the-art...or would be if it wasn't scavenged from an actual impressive android. All Sparks did was rip it off and attach it. It's brown with dirt, which covers the silver plating of the actual arm, which is humanoid. Spark's face is simply a mis-matched collection of several androids, the result being a 4-piece "mask" which he wears over his electronic components. The top half is animalistic, resembling a tiger and bear combined. The lower-half is more like an insect,with half a pincer on one side and a proboscis on the other.

Sparks actually never has considered himself to be the manservant of his yeti "master". In truth, he's an assassination android, who became the servant of the yeti when he was reactivated by the creature. Since then he's been trying everything to kill his "master" and win his freedom. Unfortunately, disrepair and yeti endurance has always won through so far. The only time Sparks helps Garglesnout is when the yeti is in danger from somebody who isn't Sparks. Killing Garglesnout is Spark's pleasure alone and anybody who he deems to be threatening his chance to kill the yeti will be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

In saying this, Sparks is cold, calculating and methodical. The only time the 'droid shows emotion is when either he's trying to kill Garglesnout or when he's protecting him, the former showing hatred of the yeti, the latter being determination to keep him alive for his own purposes.

Crap? Anybody like it?

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks is wearing Light Armor. But what *is* his armor? Examples: Leather dusters, umpire's padding sewn with chain links, shoulder pads and straps of steel-belted radials over your vital areas, half a Kevlar vest, football pads, or we could be boring and just say he has thick plating.

Sparks will also need a light weapon because he can't hit worth a damn using anything heavier. If he wields a 1 handed light weapon, he can also wield a shield.

Light Melee Weapon: This is an agile weapon that rewards a certain level of finesse in melee combat. Examples: A pair of scissors, a Bowie knife, a short length of rebar, a machete, a Louisville slugger, a souvenir katana.

Light Ranged Weapon: This is a swift, mobile weapon that you throw at your enemy or that launches an easily crafted or easily collected projectile at the enemy. These weapons don't require ammunition (page 74), because the game assumes that your character can find or make new projectiles as needed. Examples: A thrown knife, a dart, a makeshift sling, an icicle, a replica shuriken, an aluminum compound bow.

Light Gun: This is a swift, mobile weapon that uses ammunition that you can 't easily find or make yourself. Guns require ammunition (page 74). Examples: A Glock or a Baretta, an assault rifle, a hunting rifle.

So basically, Sparks can use anything as a weapon. So, what will he wield? Will he use 1 handed weapons and carry a shield for a little more defense? What might the shield actually be (A yield sign with leather straps bolted on, a chunk of winter tire with a handle added, or a snowboard with straps. ect.)

For Garglesnout Frostbane XVII, he needs Heavy Armor. This will reduce his speed by 1, sadly. What sort of armor is he wearing? It could be Riot gear, plate armor scavenged from a museum of history, coveralls sewn with pots and pans, or mechanic's overalls stuffed with lucky Bibles.

Garglesnout is equally good with Heavy and Light weapons, so I'm going to say lets give him Heavy Weapons because they get more damage.

Heavy Melee Weapon: This is a direct weapon that requires some muscle to use effectively. Exam­ ples: A board with a nail in it, a sledge hammer, an iron, an I-beam, a speed limit sign (with post), a parking meter, a television, a chain saw.

Heavy Ranged Weapon: This is a slow but impactful weapon that you throw at your enemy or that launches an easily crafted or easily collected projectile at the enemy. These weapons don't require ammunition (page 74), because the game assumes that your character can find or make new projectiles as needed. Examples: A thrown hand axe, a sizable rock, a table saw blade, a bowling ball, a potato gun, an Olympic hammer.

Heavy Gun: This is a swift, mobile weapon that uses ammunition that you can't easily find or make yourself. Guns require ammunition (page 74). Examples: A .45 magnum (the most powerful hand­ gun in the pre-Mistake world), a shotgun, a small but portable Autocannon.

Same rules apply for 1 handed vs 2 handed. 1 handed is less damage, but allows a shield for more defense.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks armour is assorted sections of sun tanned leather and bleached furs skinned from the various creatures that have tried to kill Garglesnout Frostbane XVII attached with cable ties.

Weapon wise go with a 1 handed melee weapon of a shiv formed from a nasty jagged looking length of metal that was once part of shanks original right arm.

Give him a shield made out of the hub cap of an articulated lorry.

Garglesnout Frostbane XVII should use a 2 handed heavy melee weapon consisting of a sign post with a "Warning Flammable Materials' sign on the end.

In both cases going with melee weapons as there powers suggest ranged attacks.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:
Garglesnout Frostbane XVII should use a 2 handed heavy melee weapon consisting of a sign post with a "Warning Flammable Materials' sign on the end.

I love you.

Sihoiba wrote:
In both cases going with melee weapons as there powers suggest ranged attacks.

I'm ok with carrying a ranged weapon in addition to the melee weapons. It's actually pretty common because many ranged weapons, once thrown, are halfway across the room and can't be thrown again without retrieval.
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, lets give Sparks a toy pistol, charged with his electrokinesis.

Well, it was ONCE a toy. He's since "upgraded" it with parts of real pistols. The only thing he still has of the toy is its outer shell, making enemies laugh until the part where they get a piece of hot laser enter their brain.

Garglesnout Frostbane XVII should use a rock as his ranged weapon.

Well, it's a rock to him. To everybody else it's either "A huge boulder" or "OH FUCK ITS GOING TO CRUSH US"

Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:
In that case, lets give Sparks a toy pistol, charged with his electrokinesis.

I'm thinking This. I'll allow it as a one handed gun that deals Laser damage.

The rules on guns is a little odd. They really don't want people making ranged characters. Basically, if you use ammo once per encounter, it's assumed you're managing your ammo reserves carefully, and you still have ammo at the end of an encounter. If you use ammo more than once per encounter, it's assumed you've gone hog wild, and blown off the last of your reserves. Your ammo then runs out until you get more.

In this case, I'd say the ammo is actually "spent" only if you run too much power through the unit and fry something. So, once per encounter and you're fine, twice or more and it's burnt out at the end of the encounter until you can get some parts to repair it with.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garglesnout Frostbane XVII

Pyrokinetic Yeti
Representing Nexus

Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 7 (-2)
Wisdom 18 (+4)
Charisma 14 (+2)

Total Hit Points: 25 = 7 + (5 x level) + constitution
Bloodied Value / Second Wind: 12 = total hit points / 2 (round down)
Fortitude Defense: 14 = 10 + 1 [level] + 3 [strength]
Reflex Defense: 13 = 10 + 1 [level] + 2 [dexterity]
Will Defense: 15 = 10 + 1 [level] + 4 [wisdom]
Armor Class: 19 = 10 + 1 [level] + 7 [heavy armor] + 1 [hard to hurt]
Speed: 5 = 6 [base] -1 [heavy armor]
Initiative modifier: 3 = 1 [total levels] +2 [dexterity modifier]

Unarmed Attacks: Damage [W]:
Powerful attack: d20+6 = 3 [strength] + 1 [total levels] + 2 [weapon accuracy] 1d8

Heavy Melee Weapons: Damage [W]:
Two-handed weapon (Sign): d20+6 = 3 [strength] + 1 [total levels] + 2 [weapon accuracy] 2d8

Heavy Ranged Weapons: Damage [W]: Range:
Two-handed weapon (Rock): d20+6 = 3 [strength] + 1 [total levels] + 2 [weapon accuracy] 2d8 10 squares

Special attacks:

Fiery Flare

At-will, fire, psi
Standard action
Ranged 5
Attack: 1 creature d20+5 [Wisdom attack + level] vs. reflex
Damage: 2d8 +6 [wis mod + 2 x level] fire damage

Big Claws

Encounter, bio, physical
Minor action
Melee 1
Attack: 1 creature d20+6 [Strength attack + level +2] vs. AC
Damage: 1d10 +5 [str mod + 2 x level] physical damage & target slowed to end of your next turn.

Skill checks:

Acrobatics d20+3 = 1 [level] + 2 [dexterity]
Athletics d20+4 = 1 [level] + 3 [strength]
Conspiracy d20+2 = 1 [level] + 1 [intelligence]
Insight d20+5 = 1 [level] + 4 [wisdom]
Interaction d20+7 = 1 [level] + 2 [charisma] + 4 [pyrokinetic]
Mechanics d20+2 = 1 [level] + 1 [intelligence]
Nature d20+9 = 1 [level] + 4 [wisdom] + 4 [yeti]
Perception d20+9 = 1 [level] + 4 [wisdom] + 4 [bonus skill]
Science d20+2 = 1 [level] + 1 [intelligence]
Stealth d20+3 = 1 [level] + 2 [dexterity]

Pyrokinetic
+2 to psi overcharge
Resist 10 fire.
Whenever a creature ends its turn adjacent to you, it takes 5 fire damage.

Yeti
+2 to bio overcharge
Resist 10 cold

Equipment wrote:
Explorer's kit
- Bakpack
- Bedroll
- Canteen -- half gallon of water, 1 lb empty
- Flint and steel
- Rations, trail (10 days)
- Rope (100 ft)
Climber's kit
- Grappling Hook -- can throw 1/2 strength number of squares
- Hammer
- Pitons (10)
- Rappelling Harness
- Rope (100 ft)
Binoculars -- +5 to perception checks to observe distant details
Fuel, 5 gallon(s)
Night vision goggles -- darkvision 10, -5 on perception checks
Radio cell phone -- range 1 mile
Truck, pickup

Last edited by Teksura on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks

Android Electrokinetic

Strength 11 (+0)
Dexterity 11 (+0)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 16 (+3)
Charisma 10 (+0)

Total Hit Points: 25 = 7 + (5 x level) + constitution
Bloodied Value / Second Wind: 12 = total hit points / 2 (round down)
Fortitude Defense: 14 = 10 + 1 [level] + 1 [constitution] + 2 [android built to last]
Reflex Defense: 17 = 10 + 1 [level] + 4 [intelligence] + 2 [electrokinetic lightning reflexes]
Will Defense: 14 = 10 + 1 [level] + 3 [wisdom]
Armor Class: 19 = 10 + 1 [level] + 3 [light armor] + 4 [intelligence] + 1 [Shield]
Speed: 6 = 6 [base]
Initiative modifier: 1 = 1 [total levels] +0 [dexterity modifier]

Unarmed Attacks: Damage [W]:
Quick attack: d20+8 = 4 [intelligence] + 1 [total levels] + 3 [weapon accuracy] 1d4

Light Melee Weapons: Damage [W]:
One-handed weapon (Shiv): d20+8 = 4 [intelligence] + 1 [total levels] + 3 [weapon accuracy] 1d8
Light Ranged Weapons: Damage [W]: Range:
One-handed gun (NES Zapper):
need ammo d20+9 = 4 [intelligence] + 1 [total levels] + 4 [weapon accuracy] 1d8 10 squares

Special Attacks:
Machine Grip
At-will, dark, physical
Standard action
Melee 1
Attack: 1 creature d20+5 [Intelligence attack + level] vs. reflex
Damage: 1d10 +6 [int mod + 2 x level] damage immobilized to start of your next turn while you remain adjacent.

Electric Boogaloo
At-will, dark, electricity
Standard action
Melee 1
Attack: 1 creature d20+4 [Wisdom attack + level] vs. fortitude
Hit: 1d10 +5 [wis mod + 2 x level] electricity damage, target gets -2 on all defenses until end of your next turn.

Skill checks:

Acrobatics d20+1 = 1 [level] + 0 [dexterity]
Athletics d20+1 = 1 [level] + 0 [strength]
Conspiracy d20+5 = 1 [level] + 4 [intelligence]
Insight d20+4 = 1 [level] + 3 [wisdom]
Interaction d20+1 = 1 [level] + 0 [charisma]
Mechanics d20+9 = 1 [level] + 4 [intelligence] + 4 [electrokinetic]
Nature d20+4 = 1 [level] + 3 [wisdom]
Perception d20+4 = 1 [level] + 3 [wisdom]
Science d20+13 = 1 [level] + 4 [intelligence] + 4 [android] + 4 [bonus skill]
Stealth d20+1 = 1 [level] + 0 [dexterity]

Android

+2 to dark overcharge
No need to eat or drink

Electrokinetic

+2 to dark overcharge (Stacks with Android!)
Resist 10 electricity

Equipment wrote:

Explorer's kit
- Bakpack
- Bedroll
- Canteen -- half gallon of water, 1 lb empty
- Flint and steel
- Rations, trail (10 days)
- Rope (100 ft)
Canoe -- capacity 600 lb, speed 3 mph
Computer, laptop
Lantern -- illuminates 10 square radius
Lamp oil (8 hr for lantern)
Wagon -- capacity 1 ton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: