Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Preachy crap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preachy crap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a negative vibe associated with my post. Gonna miss you, Happy. Sad
and, as always,
Johhan
Morthalius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy_trauma wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've given it some thought and I've decided to step down as leader of the Oaken Knob, and hibernate my character for a while.

The whole point of the Knob for me was to try something new and different - a no-ward pub where people could essentially do this:

Quote:
play a slacker whose response to Armageddon is to hole up with some friends and drink your way into oblivion before oblivion finds you first

I expected there to be killings, raids, and so forth. And when all of that stuff happened, as far as I'm concerned, it was in-character, it added to the colorfulness of the Knob. I responded in-character, and wasn't personally offended by any of the goings-on.

All of this latest bit of forum discussion, however, is a little bit more than what I'm looking for from the game. In particular, having people come into our stronghold in game and complain about game mechanics and play styles, out of character, breaks the fourth wall for me. It makes me not want to put in the effort to role-play, stay in character, and so forth.

I think this:

Quote:
would be flavorlicious as hell would be to try and contract the EUPD to police the knob. It'd be a great source of RP for both factions. EUPD could have daily EoD Reports, dispatch teams to deal with the murderers and law-breakers, maybe have a few sitting in the Knob itself

... is a really good idea, and shows a lot of creative in-character thinking. However, this is more than what I personally want to put into the game. In order to do this, I'd have to hang around a lot in IRC, send/answer game-related emails, respond to events in real-time, and so on. I play NexusClash often, but I don't play it particularly "deep" - what I do is log on, say / do a few things in character, see what other people said / did in character, and that's about it. Just because I have played a pub manager doesn't mean that I'm looking to do any sort of actual managerial work. Smile

There's no negative vibes associated with this post. I'm not angry/disappointed/taking my ball and going home. I just need a break from the meta-game.

Prior to hibernating Mr. Trauma, I've made a few promotions on the Knob staff, and I would encourage both current and future Knob members to have fun taking the pub in whichever direction you choose. (Turn it into an ice-cream parlor, blow it up "Mythbusters" style, whatever!).

Thanks to all staff, patron, and fellow players - I'll keep my other two characters running, and bring Mr. Trauma at some point in the future, perhaps to resume his career as the world's grumpiest sailor. Smile

Best wishes ~

I protest happy leaving. ;.;
Viga-Brand (Divine Herald) - Murder Inc.
Reverend Jim Jones (Lightspeaker)- Knights of Arcadia
pancakes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a fan of your RP happy since your PoR days in NW. Please don't stay away too long. I know how frustrating the ooc metagame can be and having people impose it upon you, however there are so many more people who appreciate you playing just the way you do.

<GK> I now have 3 puppies, and 3 kittens, thinking about eating them
Hungerer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shit.

Later, happy. Always been a pleasure.
BeefSteak
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly hope that nothing I said made you turn to this decision, as I do enjoy the idea that you've done with the Oaken Knob. I hope that you do find someone who'll take up the Knob and run it well. I'd volunteer, but I'm sure after this thread there'd be some objection to that Wink At the very least, I'd be willing to help organize things if you'd like to stay on, though I'm sure there are many wonderful people who're already there willing to take on such a task.

I echo bunny's statement that we all do enjoy your role play, and hope that you don't stay gone too long. I hold absolutely no animosity towards you for what's gone on during this whole debacle, and hope that you don't hate me lots for what's happened in this thread. As I've said far too many times, the things I've talked about here are just from the week or so I've actually known what was going on. Best of luck to you sir. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad to hear that the surliest seaman in all the land is going on hiatus. Sad The Nexus will miss you.

One really frustrating misunderstanding that has come up and again from multiple directions in this debate is the notion there's a clear, uncrossable divide splitting the Nexus into twin camps of Gameplayers who do nothing but fight and Roleplayers who do nothing but chat. The Knob is just the latest thing that illustrates that Nexus players aren't prone to splitting hairs on what is and isn't "roleplay". Indeed (though "roleplay" is one of the most flexible words on the Web) it just goes to show that what Nexus players usually mean by "roleplay" is talk that complements their actions - killing, healing, infusing, searching, trading, drinking, whatever - so long as they have an audience. The Knob lets people have an ever-shifting audience for whatever it is their character was already created to do.

Yes, this really highlights the annoyance of the fact that some characters were apparently created just to kill silently. And some people will abuse it. But this isn't the new Freemasons - grinding isn't the reason the Knob was made, nor even the meaning of it for most. Most people are just there to do whatever it is their characters would be doing already, but it's much more fun to have an audience to see them do it. It'd be a pity to shut that down just because it isn't unanimous.
BeefSteak
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for the record, took just over an hour from the first time I stepped in the Knob to get Attack/Heal Farmed. :V
pinecones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's been a lot of "Don't judge the Oaken Knob just because some patrons decide to attack farm!!!" talk, but when there are xp-farmers who are lieutenants in the faction itself, I find it hard to sympathize with the faction.
oblivious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not the knobsters' fault that people have irrationally decided not to kill them.
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we call it sparring or training or something?

Like use actual proper terms to refer to it rather than slapping some synonym for violence in front of farming.
happy_trauma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words - but I'm just putting Happy on the shelf for a little while - it's not like I threw him into the fires of Mt. Doom or something. He'll be back. Smile Just a little burned out playing him at the moment, as described above.

I've got two other characters still living the Nexal life, you may run into them.

http://nexusclash.com/modules.php?name=Game&op=character&id=3037
http://nexusclash.com/modules.php?name=Game&op=character&id=4328

I appreciate the spirited discussion regarding game mechanics, rules, and so forth. Just because that isn't my area of expertise doesn't mean it isn't very important.

FWIW one of the things that made all the XP farming in the Knob palatable
to me was that most people roleplayed their way through it.
Elvis_Ramone
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeefSteak wrote:
Also, for the record, took just over an hour from the first time I stepped in the Knob to get Attack/Heal Farmed. :V

It took player effort and organization to get that place going, so I consider it a legitimate source for xp. In much the same way farming collectives in the real world aren't less legitimate than hermits who forage for wild berries.

What else are people supposed to do with AP in there?
BeefSteak
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis_Ramone wrote:
BeefSteak wrote:

It took player effort and organization to get that place going, so I consider it a legitimate source for xp. In much the same way farming collectives in the real world aren't less legitimate than hermits who forage for wild berries.

According to one member, they use it to Role Play! Because, if they were Role Playing to the extent that it's made to sound like, then they'd probably need it.
Hungerer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis_Ramone wrote:

You are not confined to the knob, you knob. Walk outside, get some fresh air, hunt some folks. And walk back for the rp. Not so hard.

It takes little effort to make a stronghold. I consider this response to be shenanigans.
Entomo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharn wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one in NW fucked with YOCS, right?

Anyone has any idea why is that?

1. We were useful to everyone
2. If you fucked with us we wouldn't trade with you. Ever. And we sicced someone on you to ruin your day.

Truthfully, 1. was the biggie. I think we only brought in "muscle" on one faction. They lost their SH tile in a day.

YOCS is not a fair comparison. The Knob's predecessor, The Feathered Foe, is much more applicable. And all the issues are the same now as then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: