Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Preachy crap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preachy crap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't internet psychics Tek they react to what is shown.

33% share of the decision making, being the announcer of the policy and implementing it makes him very culpable though.
EstimatedProphet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Can we stop using Shadok as a synonym for a joint decision made by the 3 most active members of the dev team? It isn't right to single him out like that.

Also, that as soon as it became clear that it was an unpopular choice, they reverted to a hands-off approach. It was a brief miscalculation, not a reign of tyranny- and the patrons who are now still the victims of this 'protest' weren't even in on it to begin with.

And again, if this is really just being used as an excuse to hit a soft target, you'd be better off just being honest about going for the soft target. It's much less annoying, and few of us get bothered over that, given that a certain rate of patron mortality is part of normal operating procedure.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUMBGoose wrote:
They aren't internet psychics Tek they react to what is shown.

Sihoiba, Ongewitter, and Shadok were all taking part in the discussion. Each admitted to their part in the matter, and defended their decision with the reasoning that helped them to make that decision in the first place. You don't need to be a psychic, you merely have to be reading the discussion.

Although, I see no reason for you to reject the notion of "It's not fair to single out 1 dude" based on that anyway. Wink

EstimatedProphet wrote:
the patrons who are now still the victims of this 'protest' weren't even in on it to begin with.

Actually, Happy had agreed to it (It would have never happened without his consent) under the same assumption made by the dev team: That it wouldn't be that big of a deal and nobody would get upset. That assumption made by (at least) the 4 parties was wrong.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffymasterchief wrote:
Can't speak for every protest killers out there but I was unaware of the XP farm that was going on and how severe it was until Admin protection happened.

It's not really that much of a farm, you know. On a very good day, my healer gets a couple hundred XP. On many other days, he gets a dozen or so, or none. Traffic in the Knob is irregular, griefers come by regularly, and contrary to what some folks seem to think, there really aren't huge numbers of people being hurt and healed.

Frankly, if you're worried about heal farming, check out the largest factions, such as the Pirates. Safe behind wards, their SM/healing ratio is not to be believed.
fluffymasterchief
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
fluffymasterchief wrote:
Can't speak for every protest killers out there but I was unaware of the XP farm that was going on and how severe it was until Admin protection happened.

It's not really that much of a farm, you know. On a very good day, my healer gets a couple hundred XP. On many other days, he gets a dozen or so, or none. Traffic in the Knob is irregular, griefers come by regularly, and contrary to what some folks seem to think, there really aren't huge numbers of people being hurt and healed.

Frankly, if you're worried about heal farming, check out the largest factions, such as the Pirates. Safe behind wards, their SM/healing ratio is not to be believed.
On my end, I was repeatedly punched and healed a number of times in a single day (this was an alt). Combine all damage, I lost total of about 100 HP. It would have continued had I not told the attacker to stop.

It is not how much XP you get from it that defines farming. It's how you get it.

Edit - Ignore this. I missed Kylinn's point entirely. My bad.

Last edited by fluffymasterchief on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:

This is a reasonable argument for "heal farming", but quite an argument for "attack farming".

So while heal farming already exists at a rather large scale within many large factions (simply for the sake of healing the Sorcerers), there wasn't really a preexisting "attack farm" to compare to. I don't see large factions beating on their faction mates for XP partly because it would require 1 or both parties to quit the faction, and this is a bit more trouble than many are willing to do.

No, heal farming is not the issue to be had here. The only issue to be had is the "attack farming", where people take advantage of the fact that there is a perfectly suitable target drinking booze right next to them in the Knob, and attack them for XP.
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit farmers and SMers in the knob for those without scruples translate into easy quick kill xp. Conduits, void walkers and maybe phylactery liches could utilise the place into the ground even when killing people.

Frankly I view the protesters as a part of a more elegant process that is only now starting to mature.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice things about Nexus is that the setting is flexible enough to include just about anything that you want to throw at it. Do you want to play a slacker whose response to Armageddon is to hole up with some friends and drink your way into oblivion before oblivion finds you first? That makes sense. Do you want to play a shameless minmaxer who wants to be the one whose kung fu is strongest in this crazy end-of-days arena? That makes sense too. Do you want to play a psychopathic killer with a twisted sense of honor who seeks to shed the blood of everyone whose response to the end of the world is hiding out and not fighting or in fact anything besides fighting the way he does? Yes, that makes sense too. The setting ICly supports doing practically anything. Barring much more blatant abuse than was going on here (from either side) there's no Wrong Way to play. But the game is too small to have a deep ideological schism about what the One Right Way to play is.
Elvis_Ramone
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy_trauma wrote:
Outside of the in-character forum I don't participate much here. However as founder and proprietor of the Oaken Knob I feel compelled to finally post something about this.

It's my understanding that the "no xp per kill" is an upgrade that has to be purchased through the faction store, correct? I would like everyone to know that I have no intention (and never did) of buying that upgrade. I didn't ask for that upgrade to be created, either, although I was aware that there were conversations going on about that sort of thing. I plan to keep the Knob in its current "get XP for doing stuff" status for the duration of the nexal breath, because it just seems like the right thing to do.

I do plan to purchase the "permanently disable the ward" upgrade when that becomes available to us. As a nonraiding faction we gain honor very slowly so it might be a while.

As discussed in another thread, I did agree to let a dev-owned character do some smiting in the Knob. In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have; but I didn't really think too hard about it at the time, and I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world.

I've been involved with the Nexal community since the early days of NW, but I'm also a pretty casual player - I'm not really into the game mechanics. My character builds are pretty sub-optimal and mostly what I do is sit around and role-play. I mean, mostly what I've done with the Knob since starting it, is search for bottles of booze, and then give them to non-faction characters. (i.e. serve drinks).

As far as XP farming within the Knob goes, I really don't know how to impact it. I will admit that I often heal patrons since that is the best way this particular character can gain XP, given my choice of roleplay for it. I could post a "no XP farming" notice in the Knob, but I've also posted a "no killing" notice, and we all know how well that works - even on a quiet day, the pub is like the OK Corral at high noon.

If anyone has suggestions on how I could improve the game experience of the Knob through in-game mechanics, please post them. Smile

Man, you're OK
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
The only issue to be had is the "attack farming", where people take advantage of the fact that there is a perfectly suitable target drinking booze right next to them in the Knob, and attack them for XP.
At least with the Knob regulars, they attack the ones who've agreed to be attacked, not just random folks, and then the healers step in and everyone goes back to their drinking and RPing. Barking dogs, insane cats, lovelorn nuns, and hard-drinking cops, all there happily getting along, demons and nexals and angels. *sigh*
BeefSteak
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
Teksura wrote:
The only issue to be had is the "attack farming", where people take advantage of the fact that there is a perfectly suitable target drinking booze right next to them in the Knob, and attack them for XP.
At least with the Knob regulars, they attack the ones who've agreed to be attacked, not just random folks, and then the healers step in and everyone goes back to their drinking and RPing. Barking dogs, insane cats, lovelorn nuns, and hard-drinking cops, all there happily getting along, demons and nexals and angels. *sigh*

And that's a big problem people have with it. It's a place where you were (for a time) being told that if you kill someone, you were going to have the XP gained from that stripped and you were to be smote. BUT if you were to leave your target alive, you're good? So someone else can farm him for heals so someone else can hit him? In a place that is supposed to be for Roleplay? No, that's a place to farm XP with the expectation of not getting killed. I've made my opinion known on the Shad/Siho/Onge thing. But honestly, it seems like a core group of people who actually what to have a place to RP with another group who are using it as an easy, exploitative way to level their characters.
Masumi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to sum up: the thing people were worried about has either stopped or was never going to happen in the first place.

That means it's all okay now, doesn't it? Can we stop arguing?
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeefSteak wrote:
And that's a big problem people have with it. It's a place where you were (for a time) being told that if you kill someone, you were going to have the XP gained from that stripped and you were to be smote. BUT if you were to leave your target alive, you're good? So someone else can farm him for heals so someone else can hit him? In a place that is supposed to be for Roleplay? No, that's a place to farm XP with the expectation of not getting killed. I've made my opinion known on the Shad/Siho/Onge thing. But honestly, it seems like a core group of people who actually what to have a place to RP with another group who are using it as an easy, exploitative way to level their characters.
The not getting killed thing is a red herring - the Chaos character was only there for like 2 days and the faction has not bought any kind of upgrade to stop XP from killing. And killers have always come into the Knob; it's just been handled IC before. As much as it was handled. But mostly it was folks just looking for an easy kill, not folks who somehow object to the idea of the Knob taking those prejudices in-game. This level of virulence against the Knob is new.

So leaving the whole XP thing aside, which was totally a dev thing, what's wrong with hurting/healing feral characters (or Oaken Knob staff) doing their thing? The bar owner may not have started the place for that, but, frankly, some of the hurty characters are the best RPers we've had in there, including Fred Dullard and Miss Whiplash, to name a couple. My feral angel wandered there on a whim and stays not for the "easy XP" but for the fun and camaraderie. And the friendly and familiar faces, even if they are demonic or feline. Or shy nuns.

I miss the dog though. We used to have a dog around regularly. A bit loud, but so adorable.
BeefSteak
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
BeefSteak wrote:
The not getting killed thing is a red herring - the Chaos character was only there for like 2 days and the faction has not bought any kind of upgrade to stop XP from killing. And killers have always come into the Knob; it's just been handled IC before. As much as it was handled. But mostly it was folks just looking for an easy kill, not folks who somehow object to the idea of the Knob taking those prejudices in-game. This level of virulence against the Knob is new.

So leaving the whole XP thing aside, which was totally a dev thing, what's wrong with hurting/healing feral characters (or Oaken Knob staff) doing their thing? The bar owner may not have started the place for that, but, frankly, some of the hurty characters are the best RPers we've had in there, including Fred Dullard and Miss Whiplash, to name a couple. My feral angel wandered there on a whim and stays not for the "easy XP" but for the fun and camaraderie. And the friendly and familiar faces, even if they are demonic or feline. Or shy nuns.

I miss the dog though. We used to have a dog around regularly. A bit loud, but so adorable.

Again, I'm just saying my ideas from my perspective. Until Chaos set up shop in the Knob, I honestly had no idea what the hell the Oaken Knob was, aside from randomly hearing people say that they were going to kill/farm there. I completely ignored it, and had no idea that it was meant to be a haven for Role Play.

I'm also not saying that the place DOESN'T have a great group of people to role play with, but just because they're good at that doesn't mean they should exploit the system which I view Attack Farming as. I'd be just as much against a faction that did the same thing behind the protection of their wards (IE: Have characters join, drop out, attack faction members for others to heal). If you're going to a place to Role Play then that is what you should be doing, in my opinion. I honestly see Attack Farming as a exploit of the system and that's about all there is to my objection to what goes on in the Knob.

No, I don't expect my opinion on the matter to change what happens, nor do I expect them to share my ideas on what is or is not an exploit. I honestly might try stopping by the Knob with some of my characters sometime, and if EUPD does wind up running protection for the Knob, I'll strongly consider donating so I can get another character to help out.
happy_trauma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've given it some thought and I've decided to step down as leader of the Oaken Knob, and hibernate my character for a while.

The whole point of the Knob for me was to try something new and different - a no-ward pub where people could essentially do this:

Quote:
play a slacker whose response to Armageddon is to hole up with some friends and drink your way into oblivion before oblivion finds you first

I expected there to be killings, raids, and so forth. And when all of that stuff happened, as far as I'm concerned, it was in-character, it added to the colorfulness of the Knob. I responded in-character, and wasn't personally offended by any of the goings-on.

All of this latest bit of forum discussion, however, is a little bit more than what I'm looking for from the game. In particular, having people come into our stronghold in game and complain about game mechanics and play styles, out of character, breaks the fourth wall for me. It makes me not want to put in the effort to role-play, stay in character, and so forth.

I think this:

Quote:
would be flavorlicious as hell would be to try and contract the EUPD to police the knob. It'd be a great source of RP for both factions. EUPD could have daily EoD Reports, dispatch teams to deal with the murderers and law-breakers, maybe have a few sitting in the Knob itself

... is a really good idea, and shows a lot of creative in-character thinking. However, this is more than what I personally want to put into the game. In order to do this, I'd have to hang around a lot in IRC, send/answer game-related emails, respond to events in real-time, and so on. I play NexusClash often, but I don't play it particularly "deep" - what I do is log on, say / do a few things in character, see what other people said / did in character, and that's about it. Just because I have played a pub manager doesn't mean that I'm looking to do any sort of actual managerial work. Smile

There's no negative vibes associated with this post. I'm not angry/disappointed/taking my ball and going home. I just need a break from the meta-game.

Prior to hibernating Mr. Trauma, I've made a few promotions on the Knob staff, and I would encourage both current and future Knob members to have fun taking the pub in whichever direction you choose. (Turn it into an ice-cream parlor, blow it up "Mythbusters" style, whatever!).

Thanks to all staff, patron, and fellow players - I'll keep my other two characters running, and bring Mr. Trauma at some point in the future, perhaps to resume his career as the world's grumpiest sailor. Smile

Best wishes ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: